I have a toshiba laptop. I was using it normally and it shut…

Customer Question
I have a toshiba laptop...
I have a toshiba laptop. I was using it normally and it shut off. Ever since I've been trying to turn it on, it loads toshiba and then stays at a black screen. I tried the recovery disc and several function keys but it's just a black screen no change. What can I do to make windows load?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/25/2010
Tech Support Specialist: James, Sr. Computer Support Expert replied 8 years ago
James, Sr. Computer Support Expert
Chat Conversation Started
James :

Try to disconnect from the wall, and take the battery out. Wait a minute, plug back into the wall and turn on.

Customer:

Still doesn't work, tried that several times, just loads the toshiba logo gives me the option of f2 or f12 and nothing else available and stays at black screen

James :

Does the F2 or F12 work?

Customer:

yes, tried to change the cd drive for startup so I could run the recovery disc but still just black screen

James :

Well, sorry to give you bad news, but that means the motherboard has most likely went bad. It will need to be replaced.

Customer:

are you serious? is there a reason why this happened? is it due to overheating? and would replacing the motherboard reformat the computer?

James :

Overheating could be a reason, but these things just happen some times. We get a few people here every day with motherboards that went bad.

James :

changing the board will not affect your data or operating system.

Customer:

Where's the best place to get it replaced? Is it expensive on a laptop?

James :

It is not cheap, probably around $250. You can try a local Staples or Fry's.

Customer:

Luckily it's under warranty, I just hope when I send it out no data is lost. I have one more question, even with a cooler it tends to heat up to extreme temperatures, how can i get that under control?

James :

If it is under warranty, you shouldn't even try - it is probably a bad fan, and the vendor should fix it for you at no charge. You data should not be disturbed at all.

Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.
Please don't forget to hit Accept for me so I can get credit for my time helping you.

Thanks again,

J.