I am a business owner and I have a Windows NT Server. I tried…

Customer Question
I am a business owner...
I am a business owner and I have a Windows NT Server. I tried to log into my PC this morning and it said that I am out of disk space on my server. I am now unable to access any of my folders on my PC, programs or even connect to the internet. I tried to log on to my server and am unable to do so. How can I access my server and possibly delete unwanted disk space? If so, how do I do it and what should I delete?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/25/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Jason Jones, Computer Expert replied 8 years ago
Jason Jones, Computer Expert
Good day,

You have a couple options. My suggestion is to follow the steps below:

- Boot up the computer
- Before Windows Boots, start pressing the F8 key
- When you are given the boot menu, choose Safe Mode with COMMAND PROMPT ONLY
- Once you are at the command window use the CD and DEL commands to delete any unwanted files.

-------Or, you can do what I have outlined below:
- Turn your server on.
- Go to a computer that is on the same network
- Click the Start button
- Click Run
- Type: \\ComputerName\C$
-----Of course, in the step above, replace "ComputerName" with the name of your server
- Click Ok
- Now you will be on the main admin share of the C: drive of your server. You may go through and delete any files that are not needed (ie, TEMP folders in your User Profiles, Internet Cache, movies, etc).

Please, update me on your status.

Thank you much // Peace.

I was able to delete files a lot of files that were on my desktop folders and I am still having the same problem.

What error are you given? What does it tell you?

Thank you.
The only error message that I receive is when I try to open the recycling bin and that error message was "Error 5." The only way that I am allowed to access my folders is in safe mode. If I let it boot up normally, then I can double click on any desktop folder and it won't open.
Why did you say you had issues with disk space?

Do you have any errors related to that?

My desktop and all of my folders are connected to the server. When I logged in on Thursday my computer read,"Out of disk space". From that point on I have not been able to access any of my folders or the internet. My employee is able to access his files and folders on the same computer because he is not connected to the server, but rather, he signs in under "my computer."

Being that your employee is able to login, this means that your computer is not "Out of disk space".

It sounds a lot more like there is an issue with your roaming profile. This is something that you need to tell your I.T. person about. Something on the server is not working correctly with your computer and/or profile.