I have a 2002 Dell 8250 series computer, was a good computer…

I have a 2002 Dell...
I have a 2002 Dell 8250 series computer, was a good computer until the other day...had just finished running a major virus & error scan, found one small issue with my sound so I went to THE Microsoft website & downloaded the "fix", shut down and then went to bed. Next day I turn it on to finally do the saving to disk, all of my photos, docs, etc.
computer came on as always, went past the DELL logo screen & brought up the blue screen where my user accounts "used" to be. The screen just shows the Microsoft XP logo & won't go anywhere. I've been told by many, including Dell that the system is a loss. I want to think not. I have an odd system that has RDRAM memory and I had a ton of additional RAM added in a couple years ago. This extra memory is on an "E" drive that I could access though "MY COMPUTER" but it was not directly connected to the "C" drive. I had many of my programs on this other drive but never save to it. It was supposed to be storage for photos & videos. Can I somehow access this E drive through my set up screens or in safe mode somehow and then access my C drive from there? I've already decided that I'm over the whole "windows" experience and plan to get an Apple soon, it would serve me better anyway since I mostly use the computer for photo & video editing now. However I don't want to lose everything I had in there.
6/25/2010
lifesaver, Computer Software Engineer
Hi and Welcome to

Please try this.

When you reach the blue windows logon screen (where the user accounts appear) press CTRL+ALT+DEL (with CTRL and ALT keys pressed together tap the DEL key)

DO you get the option to enter username and password XXXXX login to windows?
tried that, nothing happens, it will not move, I have hit every key combination I could think of, escape does not work. I've researched several forums & asked a few "experts" and all have said that "blue" screen is the death of your computer and you bascially have to start over.
IS there anything mentioned on the blue screen?

DOes it look like this?

//f01.justanswer.com/ref/http_upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4c/Bsod_w2k.png

No it does not look like that, it looks just like the log in screen I used to get that had a little block by my name with a cute little picture that I would click in order to bring up my desktop. But insted of my name & cute picture, all I have is a Microsoft window logo and the words: Microsoft Windows XP

If it's Pro, try pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del twice while on the logon screen. That should bring up the old style (Windows 2000) screen.

Change the userid to Administrator, leave the password XXXXX and try to login
.

If not try safe mode with command prompt.

here is what my old log on screen looked like, I already tried mutliple pressings on the old cntr+alt+del, it does not work now this is what I see

Either the registry is corrupt or boot sector's corrupt.This is not a hardware problem but a windows problem.All your data should be safe.

To fix this try a System Restore using the Command prompt, follow these steps:
  1. Restart your computer, and then press and hold F8 during the initial startup to start your computer in safe mode with a Command prompt.
  2. Use the arrow keys to select the Safe mode with a Command prompt option.
  3. If you are prompted to select an operating system, use the arrow keys to select the appropriate operating system for your computer, and then press ENTER.
  4. Log on as an administrator or with an account that has administrator credentials.
  5. At the command prompt, type %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe, and then press ENTER.
  6. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to a functional state.
IF this doesn't help we will need a XP cd to repair windows.ALl data will be safe.

Edited by lifesaver on 6/25/2010 at 3:38 AM EST
I tried, it goes right to the black safe mode screen and then pulls up the same blue screen with the windows xp logo, I tried ctrl+alt+del once and twice, nothing! I have to go to bed now, have to be at work in the morning, I can try something else tomorrow.
Ok.Good night.

These are the next set of instructions:-

To repair the ntldr (the ntldr is the boot loader) and the ntdetect.com (the ntdetect.com is responsible for detecting basic hardware)

First you will need a Windows XP CD.
- stick the Windows XP CD in, and boot your computer from the CD
(once you have booted up, you will see a blue screen)

Type R and press enter
(To go into the Recovery Console)
- type: password
(if you don’t recall setting a password XXXXX the Admin, try leaving it blank then hit enter)

Once in the recovery console,
type: copy D:/i386/ntldr C:
(note my CD Drive is letter D: so change this to whatever your CD Drive is and my Windows is on C: so change that drive to whatever your Windows is on):
- press: enter
( if it asks you if you want to replace a file, say yes)
type: copy D:/DANGEROUS URL REMOVED C:
- press: enter
Then Reboot.

Guide:
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ht/ntldrntdetect.htm

Hope this helps.Let me know the results tommorow morning.

Regards,

Edited by lifesaver on 6/25/2010 at 3:49 AM EST
ok well this didn't work either, maybe my XP disc is corrupt too! Back to my original thought, is there anyway to access my "E" drive?
Relist: Answer quality.
my original question was to see if I could gain access through another drive, this was never touched upon, also solutions given did not work, computer is in the same place it was when I posted the question

Drives can't be accessed like that.You need a proper channel.

Now did you follow the steps i gave you earlier.

my original question was to see if I could gain access through another drive

The answer is yes but it's tricky.You need to remove the hardisk from your Dell 8250 and connect it to another working system.You can connect the drive as a slave drive or you could purchase an external casing(about $10).Put the harddisk inside it and connect it to nother working system through USB port.

Either ways you can access the drive and it's data.

Before that please try this.It's a repair installation of windows.

Assuming you have a windows XP disk to boot from and reinstall windows, here what you do for a XP Repair install

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below

This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER. do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console). I repeat, do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R".

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot. Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears. Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Let me know if you need more help.

Regards

lifesaver, Computer Software Engineer

Lifesaver,

I'm not ignoring this last response. I called Del and they think my XP disk is corrupt or something, they are sending me a new copy, should have it in a day or tow, then I can try this. Thanks & I will get back to you.

No problem.Take your time.
I'm doing the update now, followed your instructions: boot CD first, inserted CD, turned system on, Welocme to Setup came on screen, pressed Enter, not R, agreed to license, selected my Windows XP home edition to repair & pressed R, it's copying now, at 93% , hope I don't lose my photos & documents!
Whoohoo! Looks like it worked, everything appears to be intact. Thank you very much.

Nice to hear back from you.

Great results indeed.

Thank you for using our service.

Best regards,

L.s