Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  I speak PC fluently, so you dont have to! Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

My hard drive crashed a couple of days ago. I utilize your

Customer Question

My hard drive crashed a couple of days ago. I utilize your Gmail service for my email. Dell sent me a new hard drive, and we reloaded all of my original software on to the new hard drive. One of my software programs was windows outlook for small business. When we installed this it only brought back 1 weeks worth of mail into my in box. I had numerous other emails in my in box older than one week that were most important to me. Is there anyway to retrieve the email to my in box further back that the one week it gave me? My email address is: [email protected]
Category: Computer
Expert:  Dustin replied 8 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer.com

My name isXXXXX am one of the experts who will assist you today!

question.. when you log into gmail.. directly log in..

can you see any mail older then 1 week/?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No, to answer your question, and sorry I did not offer up more money at this point for your expert advice; it's just that I have just dropped $400.00 in the last 4 days with Dell just to find out they can't restore any of my files off my old hard drive. They advised I need to take my corrupt hard drive to the Geek squad, or someone like that, to attempt to recover my data from my old hard drive, but they did try to sell me a new "external hard drive" so I don't have this problem in the future, and then went on to advise that I need to contact Google to get my answers with respect to my email questions. So, please do not take my monetary commitment as an insult, its just that currently I am on disability, and my income is limited, and Dell has eaten the lions share of any "spare money I had, so I'm a bit "tapped" out at the moment. I'm sure you're worth more than I can currently afford. But any help I can buy for the modest sum I have offered is greatly appreciated.
Expert:  Dustin replied 8 years ago.
I understand what your saying.. And the money is not an issue. I took the question at the price offered..

And unfortunately.. i think im gonna have to offer you a refund..

Check one more thing on gmail..

check your trash floder.. and check your archives folder.. if theres nothing in there to save.. theres nothing i can do..

Let me know. and if not. ill put in the refund request
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Strange thing, when I re-loaded the windows outlook, and anxiously went to my inbox , the archieves folder that had always existed as part of the windows outlook pre-established folders on the left of the inbox was gone; I did have many subfolders under the "archieves main folder". I don't understand how the "achieves main folder" just somehow vanished. It was there when I first bought the computer from Dell, which already had all of my software pre-down loaded on it. I will check the trash folder, but I'm not feeling very hopeful.
Expert:  Dustin replied 8 years ago.
did you use gmail in conjunction with..

outlook?

either way if dell wiped the drive..

its not looking good. question..

is it the same drive ., or a new drive?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes, I used outlook in conjunciton with Gmail and no, Dell did not wipe the old drive clean by having me reinstall everything back on to the original drive; we tried, and it was not working properly- we didn't get far at all before the Dell dude said it was a waste of time as even if we got everything to reinstall it would just be a matter of months before it crashed again because there was a difinate problem there. They just said it seemed corrupt. It would not allow windows to run, and it froze the screen with a message to the effect that "windows shut down as a problem was detected", and then it gave me an option to have the computer try to repair or troubleshoot the problem- an option I highlighted, and then after a few it brought another message to the screen that said something like" the problem could not be resolved, and therefore windows has shut down to save your computer permanent damage, it could be your hard drive or possibly an issue with your files, if you have recently downloaded new software, uninstall it and see if this resolves the problem". Well, I had to contact Dell on line support because the screen was locked up, and I had just installed some new software from that website "MyCleanPC.com, that I had already tried to uninstall once, and it would NOT uninstall. So once the screen froze up, I had to contact Dell to find a way to unfreeze the screen so I could again attempt to uninstall that MyCleanPC.com software again; it was after we tried to get back on to my computer with the old drive that the Tech finally said after mulitiple attempts that the best solution was just to send me a new hard drive, and can the old one. However, the man tonight said I could take my old harddrive to a computer place, and the could hook it up to a second computer, and try to retreive my files that way, then cut and paste them to a disk and I could then reinstall them back on my computer with the new hard drive that way. So, it was all due to the download of the MyCleanPC that started this corruption of my harddrive, but to what extent I am uncertain, and will not be able to ascertain until I have a Geek squad or someone attempt to open up my old harddrive and retreive my files from there. Oh, and as a by the by, I checked, and the longest back my emails go is only to 6/21 to present. So, I have a lot that is missing. Thanks for your perserverance with me on this.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
You never answered my question as to how to retrieve all my files from the google server, and place them back in thier appropriate locations, i.e. in box, junk mail, drafts, sent items, achieve files, and subfiles under in box. I am referring to a complete restore to the exact place in which everything existed prior to my hard drive crash.