My .pst file has exceeded the 2GB limit and I cannot access…

Customer Question
My .pst file has exceeded...
My .pst file has exceeded the 2GB limit and I cannot access my Email or my huge contacts data base. How can I retrieve this data?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/25/2010
Tech Support Specialist: NeOh, Computer Software Engineer replied 8 years ago
NeOh
NeOh, Computer Software Engineer
Hi ,

Welcome to JustAnswer

Microsoft offers a free tool called PST2GB to solve these kind of issue, you can get it from here

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=B33B1DFF-6F50-411D-BBDF-82019DDA602E&displaylang=en

Also see this link for more information how it works and other troubleshooting you can do

http://www.slipstick.com/problems/repair2gbpst.asp

I'm giving this link because it's clearly explained there. please let me know if you've any queries

I responded earlier to JustAnswer indicating that problem not yet solved.

I created a new .PST file as outlined on the link you forwarded but that when I tried to repair this file using the Inboc Repair Tool (scanpst.exe) I got an erro message (the repair tool got to about step 6 each of the 2 times I tried but went no further). I still cannot acess my earlier E mail or address book.

Regards
Jim Dahm
Tech Support Specialist: Christopher Bessler, Director of Computer Engineering replied 8 years ago
Christopher Bessler
Christopher Bessler, Director of Computer Engineering
Here is a trick that I have used in the past for this:

Open outlook and create a NEW PST file. Call it repository or whatever.

Make a backup of your original PST or OST, then open the original file with the hex editor (available for download from any Windows shareware site, a Good one is HxD: LINK). You'll want to remove a few characters from the middle of the file, then save it and try to run the Inbox Repair Tool (Scanpst.exe) to repair the damage you did with the hex editor. If Scanpst can repair the file, you should be able to open it Outlook again. If not, try removing some additional characters from the file.

Once you are able to open it, transfer half the emails to the newly created PST file.

THEN, you need to seriously consider upgrading your Office package. This problem is not around in Office 2003 or later, as there is a built in mechanism which prevents adding data to a PST file once it reaches 1.82 GB. It forces you to create a new one. The fact is, if you have this problem, you are using a program that is pushing 8 years old and you need to look at bringing it up to date before it goes to End-Of-Life.

I hope that this assist you.

If you need anything further, please let me know and I will do my best to assist you.

_______________________________________________________________________
Thank you for your question. If my answer helped at all, please accept. Positive feedback and/or a bonus is always greatly appreciated!