When I attempt to shut my computer down it goes to a Microsoft…

Customer Question
When I attempt to shut...
When I attempt to shut my computer down it goes to a Microsoft Windows XP installing 1 of 1

It will stay that way for hours and never install and go into shut down.

What is going on?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/25/2010
Tech Support Specialist: tbwhite2040, Computer Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
tbwhite2040
tbwhite2040, Computer Support Specialist

If you have Automatic Updates enabled then it will try to install updates while it is shutting down. If it does not finish installing before it shuts down, the next time you go to shut down your computer it will keep trying to install the same update.

I would allow updates to install completely before you shut down the computer.

It has stayed that way for hours and never finished updating.

What do I do next if it never completes the update?

There is a program called SubInACL from Microsoft that you can download and install to reset the registry on your system. The link below will take you to the download. Once you download and install the SubinACL tool then follow the rest of the directions to run the Reset.cmd

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e8ba3e56-d8fe-4a91-93cf-ed6985e3927b&displaylang=en

To see the Reset.cmd, you might have to open up My Computer and click on Tools and then Folder Options. Next click on View and scroll down and click on Show hidden Files and folders and also uncheck the box beside Hide protected Operating System Files and Folders. Then click OK and close the box. You should now be able to see the Reset.cmd file. Just remember to save it where you can find it easily.