Hi, I looking for a light laptop and not the full size, although…

Customer Question
Hi, I looking for a...
Hi, I looking for a light laptop and not the full size, although the small ones are good in size and weight, I tend to lean towards the middle size eg. 13.3 as it does more. I want to use it for uni, so need word and I do scrapbooking, so want to sort my photos using a creative memories program, for this reason the middle size would suit better than the smallest laptops in your range.
I found one I like at Harvey Norman T130/01E, 4GB, 1.3ghz, 320gb, ultra low voltage, I know it doesn't have a cd/dvd drive, but can buy an attachment, it is a Intel Dual Core 2 Duo with windows 7, my computer guy says I should buy something faster than 1.3ghz and bigger than 320gb and not to buy a Dual Core 2 Duo but to buy a 3 or 5 with 64 bit.
JB hi fi told me some computers may not be compatible with 64 bit and I would be better to go with 32 bit.
I currently have a HP Photosmart C4180 printer copier scanner.
Can you tell me the weight of this laptop? I felt the weight without the battery, but the sales guy said the battery doesn't weigh much more?
The other Notebook I found and liked, but it is a bit too heavy, lugging it to and from the carpark at uni with books etc is a killer, anyway I liked it as it was a touch screen, I hate those square pad mouses, but know I can have a wireless mouse attachment.
The model is Satelite U500/01C Notebook, I found this at Dick Smith, it has a cd/dvd drive which is good and it is faster than the other one at 2.13GHz, it is the same 4GB, but it is 500GB HDD, same size screen 13.3 and it is a Intel Core i3-330M, so my computer guy likes this one best due to it being an i3, 2.13ghz not 1.3 and 500GB not 320GB, but with what I have told you, do I need 2.13 and 500GB and a i3 instead of a 2 and can you tell me the weight of this notebook with the battery? (I would get this notebook, but the weight is the only drawback, which I want to consider), do you have any other model suggestions with what I have told you and where can I find one, who supplies this model?

Waiting in anticipation of your reply, I wanted to buy it yesterday, but thought I'd try and be sensible and do my research first, so thank you for any help you can give me.

Regards,

Liz Coffey
Ph 03 9431 0717 or 0408 325 776
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/25/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Steven R., Computer Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
Steven R.
Steven R., Computer Support Specialist

Hello, thank you for using JustAnswer.com!

Hello Ms. Coffey,

Choosing the right laptop can be a daunting task at times; I understand where you are coming from with regard to using it at University, as I currently do the same. I am extremely proficient with this sort of thing and I will be happy to assist you.

Let me preface this response by saying you are wise to do a little extra research. I understand that you are concerned about weight, so I will take that into consideration during my research, which shouldn't take too long as I have recently encountered a similar scenario. I also want to add a few thoughts, not necessarily that I am going against your "computer guy," because he has some valid points, but I want to offer some extra items for your consideration.

Your computer guy is correct regarding the 64 bit vs 32 bit argument, but as a tech, and a forward thinker, I have to disagree with the assessment and say that 64-bit is the way to go. I say this because I was involved with the Windows 7 launch, and I am very familiar with the capabilities of the operating system. That being said, I did extensive testing (about a year's worth before Win 7 was released) and I personally tested well over 100 programs, ranging from archaic video games to leading edge graphics rendering software. One major plus regarding the Windows 7 platform is that it has an advanced compatibility wizard, a far cry better than any version prior.

Now on to the processor. Again, I am keen on thinking ahead and while the Duo could be ok for your needs, if you find yourself at a later time needing more CPU power you will not have it like you would with the i3 processor.

Let's see, the storage is another key point. If you are interested in scrap booking and creating memories, then it is reasonable that you will use a lot of images, music, and perhaps some video files. All of these typically require a good deal of storage and 500Gb is going to serve you well in the long term. Notice a recurring theme here? Most people do not want to purchase a laptop every year, or even every 2 years, and by "thinking ahead" one can conceivably extend the life of their laptop with the proper care and preventative maintenance.

Let's talk peripherals. The first thing that stands out is that you want lightweight, but I can assure you that if you are worried about weight, you'll definitely want to get everything inside the computer. Lugging around an external CD-ROM, MyNotebook (external storage device), and a wireless mouse can get to be a pretty bulky package; not to mention the power cords and the laptop bag itself.

So here is what I would would suggest:

Keep the mid-size form factor 13.3(ish) although 14 is better viewing

Speaking of viewing, you may want to consider a laptop with ATi graphics vs Intel integrated, but it is a matter of preference.

Get it with Win 7 64bit because if you do have a 32 bit program, windows creates a folder just for that purpose, and the 32-bit programs can be made compatible if necesary, and the industry is rapidly putting out 64-bit products.

Go with the i-3 as it is MUCH faster than a Duo or 1.3, and when opening large pictures, or videos, this can make a huge difference.

I think the 500Gb HDD is adequate; besides, if you need more space you can always upgrade.

Make sure to get 4gb of RAM as this will help make the speed of the overall system much faster.

The average laptop battery weighs between 2-3 lbs, and total laptop weight can range from 6-12 lbs total weight.

The Satelite U500/01C is reasonable and should meet your needs, but i did locate another that is similar but with a few minor differences that will be negligible to an average user.

This laptop fits all of your needs almost to a "T" and it even has face recognition software which is cool, it has a nice resolution for pictures, Wi-Fi, DVD-ROM, plus this model has a rating of 5 stars.

Satellite U500-ST5307

• Intel® Core&trade i3-330M Processor
  • Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium
  • 4GB DDR3 memory
  • 320GB hard drive
  • Intel® Integrated Graphics
  • DVD SuperMulti drive
  • 802.11n wireless
  • 1280x800 native resolution
  • Integrated webcam
  • HDMI output
  • 1-Year Standard Limited Warranty

After all of this analysis, this would be my suggestion. If you would like to look at it more closely, the link is

http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/pdet.to?poid=464135

As a professional, and as a student, I think this laptop will meet your current and future needs for some time. If you appreciate my dissection of your question, and feel that I have given you additional insight, please don't hesitate to click "Accept." if you have more questions, I will be happy to answer them until you are completely satisfied that you recieved an excellent analysis and breakdown of the pros and cons for this recommendation. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask! Thank you and have a great day!

P.S. I have an i-7 in my desktop and an ATI 5870 graphics card with 4Gb XMP RAM and several other goodies, but I won't bore you with the detail. I look forward to you "Accept" and feedback!

Hi Steven,

Thank you for your prompt reply, although I went looking for the laptop you suggested and was told that model isn't in Melbourne Australia and I don't want to buy it from the US as then I have warranty problems and other issues with it being US compatible not Australia.

The price I wanted to pay was up to $1400 Australian Dollars, the best one so far that I have found is the Toshiba T130/01E, 4GB, 1.3 processor speed, 13.3 screen, 320GB, Ultra Low Voltage and it is a Dual Core Duo, not a i3, but it is only 1.7kg in weight which appeals to me. It doesn't have a DVD drive, but I could buy a seperate unit and don't have to take that to uni. I don't know if it is 32 or 64 bit.

The Satellite U500 01C is to heavy.

So if you come up with a solution that takes all of that into account, I'd be more than happy to hear from you.

Regards, Liz

Good morning Liz,

My apologies for not clarifying your country of origin; I went to Perth and Sydney when I was in the Navy a number of years ago; Australia is so amazing. So, I went to Harvey Norman in AU and searched through the site. The specific notebook you have selected, the Toshiba 130/01E is going to acceptable for your needs, and it is in Australia Laughing.

The Intel Duo chips were pretty much as good as it got before the i-series chipset, and it will do what you need. It has a good amount of RAM, which should offset any speed issues.

It's high-definition, which is good, and it has an HDMI port which means you can always take an HDMI cable and plug it right into your HDTV (if you have access to one) I plug mine in all the time and it scales beautifully to the 42" TV.

The one you have selected is also lightweight.

As you have indicated, there is no CD-ROM, and after some consideration, it occurred to me that many programs can now be downloaded from the Net.

Additionally, I like that the unit has 3 USB ports. This means you can plug in a Wireless mouse, keyboard, and a web cam or additional storage anytime you like.

I also looked at the reviews, and they are spot-on; it appears that many people are very happy with this computer model. The review is linked below.

http://alatest.com/reviews/laptop-reviews/toshiba-satellite-t130/po3-88065301,30/

In summary, I think the alternative laptop will suit your needs just fine. Think of it as a nice Sedan, rather than a Ferrari, which is quite alright if you are not a power user. My mother has a similar Toshiba, with the Duo, and it works great. As a PC tech, I am always asked to put things through their paces, and every Toshiba model I have worked with seems to do well. I say you are on-track with the Toshiba T130/01E and I would recommend it for your needs.

If you found this analysis compelling and helpful, I always appreciate "accepts," "bonuses," and most importantly positive feedback. Thank you kindly, and have a nice day!

Edited by Steven R. on 6/26/2010 at 1:17 PM EST
Hi Steven,

I'm not sure the Toshiba Satellite Pro T130/01E laptop is the one you have reviewed, you have reviewed T130, I have seen the ones you have reviewed on the internet and the one that comes in 3 colours at JB Hi Fi and it has a different model number and if you look at one of the ones you reviewed it only has 250GB and the T130/01E has 320GB, I also think it wasn't 4GB it was 2GB or 3?

Can you confirm that you have looked at the model I want to buy and not other Toshiba Satellite models.

Regards,

Liz

Hello Liz,

Here is the page of the Toshiba Satellite T130/01E laptop I reviewed on Harvey Norman; the part number is XXXXX I am certain I reviewed the right laptop.

http://www.harveynorman.com.au/product/1256968642743/toshiba-satellite-te-laptop

If you click on the above link for Harvey Norman.com, and click on the "specifications" tab, this is what you will find. It is the exact, digit for digit model that you had in mind; I highlighted (in bold, italics) the parts you had questions about, and a few other things I noticed, just to verify for you that we are talking about the same model.

General

Brand:

Toshiba

Features

Battery Type:

6-cell Lithium Ion

Digital Media Cards Reader:

SD

Hard Drive Speed (rpm):

5400

Graphics Card Brand:

Intel

Graphics Card Type:

GMA 4500M

Networking:

Ethernet 10/100

Number of Optical Drives:

1

Other Ports:

HDMI, VGA

Processor Brand:

Intel

Processor Model:

SU7300

Processor QTY:

1

Processor Speed (Ghz):

1.30

Processor Type:

Core 2 Duo

Installed RAM (GB):

4

Ram Type:

DDR3

USB Ports:

3

Disk Drives

Hard Drive Size:

320GB

Notice that is says 4Gb RAM and it is DDR3, which, without sounding too technical runs at 1066Mhz (decent RAM speed for a laptop.)

It also only weighs 1.76kg

It even has an SD card slot (these are the same cards used my most digital cameras, and I recall that you are interested in pictures etc.;) so that is another plus.

Another interesting point is that this laptop has an optical drive (CD-ROM)

The Core 2 Duo, may be one physical chip, it actually has two cores on the chip, so it's like getting two 1.3Ghz processors on one chip.

Unless I am blind, and have the wrong Harvey Norman in Australia, this is, in fact, the same model, digit for digit. I am confident that we are on the same page. I truly believe that this will be a great fit for you. I hope you find this revised information and clarification useful. I would not steer you wrong; you are going to be good to go with this laptop! I hope this satiates your curiosity and additional research.

I look forward to your feedback, and with a little luck, an "accept" as I have spent quite a bit of time checking and rechecking the information just for you. If you are satisfied. I look forward to hearing that you are happy. My goal is to provide exceptional service and recommendations. If you have any other questions, or comments, please feel free to respond. Thank you and have a great day!

Steven R.
Steven R., Computer Support Specialist
Did you purchase the laptop? If so, how is it working for you?
Thank you for your help Steven, I bought it yesterday and everything is going well so far.

Regards, Liz
I felt much better knowing we had done the research and you know what your talking about with computers, I appreciate your help and patience and quick feed back, I have added a $20 bonus to the fee, thanks again, Liz.

You are quite welcome! I am glad that the laptop is working out well. I'm going to offer a few extra tip regarding laptops.

Make sure you keep it updated with Windows Update

Try not to add too many extra programs to it aside from the one that came on it. Now, that doesn't mean do not put extra programs on it, it just means that the more you put on it, the slower it will go because it has to search through a lot more folders and searching uses a lot of CPU power.

Make sure you go to www.adobe.com and get the latest versions of Flash player, Shockwave Player, and Adobe Air (these help you to view web content more efficiently.

Occasionally run disk defragmenter to keep it optimized.

And, of course, if you ever have any future questions, please feel free to ask! If you would like my help you can specify in the question header. Again, thank you for using JustAnswer.com and have a great day!

P.S. Thank you for the bonus; it is greatly appreciated. If you have not yet provided feedback, that would be appreciated as well! Good luck at University!