my camera is not working, the video is black. Help!

Customer Question
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/24/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Christopher Bessler, Director of Computer Engineering replied 8 years ago
Christopher Bessler
Christopher Bessler, Director of Computer Engineering

Hello, I will be happy to help you with your question, but first I need a little more information.

What type of camera do you have?

What application are you trying to view video in?

Has this ever worked?

I am trying to view it on any application, skype or just on the computer

It has worked before

the camera is USB2.0 UVC Camera Device #2

Did you already try the obvious?

Unplug the camera, shut the computer down. Reboot, then plug it in?

See if Windows recognizes it and brings it up?

the camera is built into my computer....

Ah. What type of computer is it?

eee pc 1005HAB

What operating system is it running?

Was anything installed around the time it stopped working?

I haven't used the camera in almost six months. The operating system is Microsoft Windows XP

OK, other than SKYPE, what applications are you trying to see the video in?

Also, right click on 'My Computer" and go to 'Manage'

This will bring up the Computer Management Window

Click on Device Manager

Tell me if there are any red X's or yellow signs in the right hand pane...

I've also tried taking a picture on the computer to see if it worked. And there aren't any red X's or yellow signs

OK, try something very simple. Download and install this program:

Active Webcam

go to www.download.com and run a search for it. It is an extremely simple webcam application that will capture images from an installed webcam.

Let me know if you still get a black screen from it.

what am I supposed to do with the program after its installed?

Try to use it. See if you can get any picture at all from your webcam.

I can get a picture from that program

OK GREAT!.

So the issue is NOT with your camera. The problem is with Skype.

When is the last time you used Skype on this computer?

In November probably...

OK, first thing you should try is a fresh reinstall of that program.

Uninstall Skype.

Reboot.

Go to Program Files, and delete the Skype directory.

Empty the recycling bin.

Go to http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/get-skype/on-your-computer/windows/

Download the latest version.

Install it.

Reboot.

Let me know if you re still having a problem.

I am going to set this post as an answer. Do not click the accept button until you are satisfied with your results. All further troubleshooting will be done via info requests. If any of those troubleshooting steps resolve your issue you can simply click the green Accept button on this post.

but if the problem is only with skype, then how come when I preview the camera under my computer it doesn't show a clear picture, its still black

Haven't gotten that far yet. That might be an issue with the 'enabling' of the camera. The camera isn't on all the time by default. Applications that use the camera activate it, just like that preview window does in the operating system. Since you were able to get a good picture in the downloaded application, I want to resolve the Skype issue next. And if the preview window is still having issues, we will try a driver update to see if the settings can be defaulted.

I reinstalled skype and it still isn't working
Hmmmm. OK, I am going to try to find the webcam driver package. Give me a few minutes.
OK, go here:

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?modelname=Eee%20PC%201005HAB&SLanguage=en-us

Or use the direct link:

LINK

Select your operating system. This will give you a download section.

Download the Camera driver.

Install it, then reboot.

Test it once it comes up. If it still does not work, go through Windows Update and download all high and critical updates. Then look for any hardware updates.

Let me know if you are still having a problem.

I am going to set this post as an answer. All further troubleshooting will be posted as info requests. That way if one of our troubleshooting steps resolves your problem you can simply accept THIS post. It is important you do NOT click the accept button until you are satisfied with your answer.
I installed the driver and all updates but it still doesn't work!
I was thinking Windows firewall maybe, for the Skype problem... but that should definitely not affect the preview unless it is trying to make a remote connection.

At this point, I would be looking at a restore point. Once going back to a time when the camera was working properly.

However, this is a pretty severe solution. Do you want to go this route?

Edited by Christopher Bessler on 6/25/2010 at 2:28 AM EST
what is a restore point?
A restore point is created when updates or application are installed on a computer. They can be reverted to at any time which will bring the system back to that state by replacing the registry and the system setting with those that were present when the restore point was created.

So, any applications you installed between the time the restore point was created and now would have to be reinstalled, along with any MS updates. The software would actually BE on the computer, but the computer wouldn't know it. And you would have to perform the install. In your case, 6 months worth. That is a lot of updates.

Let me know, I am still looking for an alternate solution.
I cant even remember how many programs were installed...if there is any other way I'd rather do that....if not then I guess I'll just leave it the way it is.
There might be another way, I will keep looking. However, right now, this would be the next step.

I will be in touch.