I cant connect my computer to a local wireless network, although…

I can't connect my computer...
I can't connect my computer to a local wireless network, although I have a laptop next to my computer that connects without any problem. What do I need to do?
6/24/2010
James, Sr. Computer Support Expert
Chat Conversation Started
James :

Hi, does the computer see the wireless network?

Customer:

No.

James :

Does it see any other wireless network?

Customer:

The "stand alone" does not, but the laptop does>

James :

Does it have a wireless card?

Customer:

It should. Like I said it worked yesterday, but not today> When you try to connect to a network, it says windows cannot find any networks.

James :

So it connected, wirelessly, yesterday?

Customer:

Yes...without a problem.

James :

Okay, let's do a system restore to a day before yesterday.

James :

Click Start, and go to Programs-->Accessories-->System Tools
Click System Restore
Follow the prompts to restore your system to a date when your'e certain it was working properly.

After you reboot, your system will be just as it was at the date you selected.

Customer:

I tried that...even back several days. It goes through the process. Then gives me a message that it failed due to some type of error.

James :

Okay. Try that in Safe Mode.

Customer:

How?

James :

Power the computer off, then back on, and immediately start tapping the F8 key.

James :

You will see a black window with options. Choose Safe Mode.

James :

Once you log in, try system restore again - it will work in safe mode.

Customer:

It did not work. Still can't find a network.

James :

Did system restore run proeprly?

Customer:

es

Customer:

Yes sorry.

James :

Is there a wireless switch on the computer?

Customer:

Where would that be?

James :

what computer do you have? Make and model?

Customer:

hp pavilion p6130y PC

James :

Right-click My Computer, and click Manage.

James :

Click Device Manager.

James :

Expand network adapter - what do you see?

Customer:

theros 802.11 a/b/g/n Dualband Wirless

James :

What is the icon next to it?

Customer:

I don't understand. There are 2 computers next to it.

James :

okay, good.

James :

are you using XP, Vista or windows 7?

Customer:

Vistaa

James :

And it is still not seeing any wireless networks?

Customer:

Yes...nothing

James :

Well, if it is not a settings issue, and it looks like it is not, because we went back using system restore, the wireless adapter seems to have gone bad.

Customer:

Is that within the computer itself?

James :

Yes, it is.

James :

If you need wireless access, you can easily solve the issue by getting a wireless USB adapter. They are cheap, and you can plug it into any USB port on the desktop.

Customer:

Would that be better than fixing the computer?

James :

yes, and much much cheaper.

James :

easy to do it yourself, rather than paying someone to fix the computer.

Customer:

Thanks. and thanks for your help!!!

James :

You are very welcome! Please don't foget to hit the Accept button before leaving the chat so I can get credit for my time helping you.

Customer:

Will do...Thanks!!

James :

And thank you!

James, Sr. Computer Support Expert