windows fails to boot. It shows multicolored Starting Windows…

Customer Question
windows fails to boot....
windows fails to boot. It shows multicolored "Starting Windows" logo and after a considerable wait takes me to an auto check window. It fails the auto check process. I filed a report to Microsoft. The auto check indicated a "corrupt registry"
I tired starting windows in safe mode and can't remember my administrator password XXXXX start computer. I wanted to try an auto restore.

Any suggestions
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/24/2010
Tech Support Specialist: DRobertson, Consultant / Technician replied 8 years ago
DRobertson
DRobertson, Consultant / Technician

Hi and thanks for writing us here at JustAnswer.com. Please know that to resolve your question may take some back and forth questions and answers. Help us to help you! We are here to help and will do our best to resolve your issue; we are not here to just make money. Also note that we do NOT work for any company and in no way represent them on their products and/or services.

Ok, if you cannot remember the password XXXXX get to the administrator logon, then we will have to try some different approaches on this.

First, I need you to reboot it, and when you first start seeing anything on the screen, look for a key that says something about system. NOTE: May say System, Startup, Recovery or even Options. Also, it will be maybe F10, F11, or F12.... or even some other F key.

We are wanting, once you are in the right area, to see if you have a menu that will give you a Command Prompt (may say DOS Prompt). If by chance you get to an area that says tap "R" for repair, then do that.

If you cannot get the keys to respond, or cannot get to an area like that, then see if you have a Windows CD and put it in the tray and lets reboot the unit to it.

Once you boot to the CD, you will eventually see an option to tap "R" for repair. Do this.

A black command prompt box will come up with something like, "c:\windows\" showing in the box. This is good!

Now type in chkdsk c: /f and then tap on the Enter key to run it. This is to check the hard disk and see if maybe hard drive damage has occurred at the point where the registry is stored, and thus causing the registry corruption.

Once it is all said and done running, then hold down the Ctrl and then the Alt, and tap on the Del key. This should give you a box with some options. Do the option to reboot or shut down, and then let run and see how it does for us after it starts back up.

Once all is done and you try again, let me know of not resolved, and I will be more then happy to do more on this.

I tried hitting F8 and it showed an entry about something with a command prompt. I selected it and it scrolled through a list of "loaed..." items but then hung up and says "Please wait" at the bottom of the screen.

I could not find anything that looked like system, startup or recovery. I'm using a microsoft wireless keyboard. It does have a Windows symbol key. I tired F10 and F11 but they took me to advanced diagnostic, but with no option for Command Prompt.

When you did F10 or F11 did you see this screen:

graphic

I did try F10 and F11. I'll try F12.
Oh ok, I must have misunderstood, you stated you did F10 and F11 and got advance diagnostics, so I thought you might have meant what I was making reference to in the pic above?

I tried F8 again, tried leaving the admin password XXXXX and got in. I slected Command Prompt and stopped there.

Everything apparently checked good. The next to the last line says"Failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 50". Then last line is another command prompt saying "X:\windows\system32>"
What do you get if at that line you type: "c:" (without the quotes) and then tap the Enter key?
Unfortunately while I was wating on your response, I tried Control Alt Delete with no results. I exited the command prompt page and got back to the diagnostic page. I tired control alt delete fro that page again with no results. Closed that page and have been trying to get back to it, but don't rmember how I got it to pop up. I'm still searching through all the keys with names on them.

Just turn it off then back on and do the F8 for the menu to get to Safe Mode.

In safe mode, but just regular Safe Mode, not Command Prompt. I would like you to try the following:

To run System File Checker (sfc):

Click on Start (In Win7 and Vista click the Start Orb), go to Programs, and then Accessories. Now look for an icon that says, "Command Prompt" and click it to open.

(If using Win7 or Vista and you cannot find it, then in the search box above the Start Orb, type in, "command" and it should list it for you above the search box - In the list of items above, where you see command {may say command prompt}, RIGHT click and choose "Run as Administrator".)

In this black command prompt box (will show something on the black screen like, c:\windows\), I need you to type, "sfc /scannow" (<-- There is a SPACE between the C and the /) and tap on the Enter key. This will take a while to run, upwards of an hour or more. Once it is done, please do a normal reboot.

More bad news! Now when I try F8 I get the Windows Error Recover page which takes me to a Startup Repair page. It indicates that it can not repair the computer automatically.

I'm not going to be able to work on this much longer. I had major back surgery two days ago and I'm struggling with pain, etc.

Ok, lets just do a overlay of the OS. This will redo the OS's files but not loose your data.

Instructions:

We can do what is called an "OS Overlay". NOTE: THIS WILL NOT DESTROY YOUR DATA, BUT READ SO YOU KNOW HOW TO DO IT RIGHT FIRST.

What you will do, is boot to the Windows CD that came with your system. Put it into the CD tray and reboot the system.

It will start to the CD and load; and then it will get to a point, on the screen, that says something about install (next) or repair (asking you to tap on the "R" key). YOU DO NOT want to tap on (R) Repair - not here! Instead tap on next for Install. It will go thru several screens and it will get to a point where it looks for previous Windows on your system. Once it does this, it will ask you if you want it to repair the Windows it finds on your hard drive. ANSWER YES OR OK TO THIS ONE!

From there it will start a whole lot of working and eventually it will have you remove the CD and it will reboot. This should give you a new Windows, but your programs and data will be intact.

(I am including this due to believing you probably have a system that has not actual restore CD.)

You will restart your system and at the first items on the screen, look for a particular key that says something about Restore, Install, or maybe Setup. This will be a F key.

Examples are: F10, F11, or maybe F12

Tap that key.

Now you will get a menu of options for your system. I need you to make sure you READ ALL THE ITEMS in this area. What we are looking for is anything that says Restore or Reinstall Windows (may say OS). BUT! You want to make sure it does not talk about Resetting to Factory Settings, or Resetting to Out of the Box Settings.

Once you choose this item, it should give you a warning about reinstalling windows, and it should also point out that you will not loose your data or files. If you choose the wrong one, do not panic! It will not just take off and start doing everything, it will give you at least one warning (most give two) about the fact that you will be loosing everything with this option, so that you can back out.

Let me know how this turned out for you.

I tried F8 again while waiting and go to Safe Mode page. I clicked on Safe Mode and it scrolled down saying it was loading various system drivers, but stopped and said please wait.

I tired this before contacting you, but it never progressed beyond please wait.

Good morning.

Ok, thats what I figured would happen on such. I figured it probably would bomb on all other attempts so that is why I am needing you to do the steps above on the previous post I made, so we can overlay the OS.

Give it a try and let me know how this goes for you.