Can i reboot my dell E310 running windows xp without the reboot…

Customer Question
Can i reboot my dell...
Can i reboot my dell E310 running windows xp without the reboot C D 's?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/24/2010
Tech Support Specialist: DRobertson, Consultant / Technician replied 8 years ago
DRobertson
DRobertson, Consultant / Technician

Hi and thanks for writing us here at JustAnswer.com. Please know that to resolve your question may take some back and forth questions and answers. Help us to help you! We are here to help and will do our best to resolve your issue; we are not here to just make money. Also note that we do NOT work for any company and in no way represent them on their products and/or services.

Ok, let me ask some questions so I can help you better with this issue.

You says reboot CD - this I assume you mean the reinstall CD?

What is the exact issue that is going on with the system, and maybe I can help on that issue itself?

yes the reinstall Cd's are gone. about a month ago the computer started deliting parts of files or whole files needed to operate drivers and other programs.

Right off hand, no, without the actual reinstall CD, you cannot reinstall XP, but there is an exception to this if your system has a restore partition.

Restart the unit and at the moment you start seeing anything at all on the unit, look for a key that will be along the lines of F12 (maybe F10 or F11) that will say something like restore (may say Install, System, or Setup.)

If you have this key and it works for you, then once in this mode, you will get to a menu screen. Once there right me back and let me know, so I can walk you thru what you need to do.

If you do not have this restore partition on your hard drive, then you would need the actual CD to do a reinstall of XP.

I would like to ask though, can you still get to your desktop?

yes

Ok, then here is your choice, and I am more then happy to help wish every way you wish.

If you are just wanting to install XP again, then try the previous post I made and see if you have a restore partition.

If you would like me to try and see if we can get up and running ok with whats working now, just let me know.

i used the f12 now what?

Great, ok, then we have hope on the reinstall.

Does the screen look like this one:

graphic

If not, please let me know what options you do have.

I have a black screen it says; boot device menu onboard SATA hard drive on board or USB-rom drive
Ok, this is a boot menu. Not what we are needing or wanting here. Thats ok though, now just turn it off and back on and see if there are any other F keys that can get us to what we want.
I have found a dell system set up screen that is blue that gives me a list saying "drives, on board devices, video, performance, security, power mgmt, maint, host behaviour"

Ok, this is not the one we need either. Your in the BIOS. I am afraid then that your system does not have a restore partition.

Lets reboot to your desktop and I want you to try and do the instructions below and let me know how things turn out for you on it:

To run System File Checker (sfc):

Click on Start (In Win7 and Vista click the Start Orb), go to Programs, and then Accessories. Now look for an icon that says, "Command Prompt" and click it to open.

(If using Win7 or Vista and you cannot find it, then in the search box above the Start Orb, type in, "command" and it should list it for you above the search box - In the list of items above, where you see command {may say command prompt}, RIGHT click and choose "Run as Administrator".)

In this black command prompt box (will show something on the black screen like, c:\windows\), I need you to type, "sfc /scannow" (<-- There is a SPACE between the C and the /) and tap on the Enter key. This will take a while to run, upwards of an hour or more. Once it is done, please do a normal reboot.

It reads "the system cannot find the path specified"

Is there any way you can get an XP CD. It does not have to be the one that came with your system. We can use anyone else's to do our troubleshooting and such.

Let me ask also, you started loosing data, were you able to determine of it was a virus? If so, did yo get it removed?

Nortons never detected a virus so I removed nothing. Yes I have another computer and the windows xp cd.

GREAT!

Ok, we are going to do what is called an "overlay" of Windows. Now normally, I would say your not going to loose anything with this, but with your case, you may have already lost a lot, and the overlay may have t destroy things to get Windows running back ok on the system.

Get the CD and put it into the CD tray and then reboot the unit. This should boot it to the CD and the follow the instructions below:

We can do what is called an "OS Overlay". NOTE: THIS WILL NOT DESTROY YOUR DATA, BUT READ SO YOU KNOW HOW TO DO IT RIGHT FIRST.

What you will do, is boot to the Windows CD that came with your system. Put it into the CD tray and reboot the system.

It will start to the CD and load; and then it will get to a point, on the screen, that says something about install (next) or repair (asking you to tap on the "R" key). YOU DO NOT want to tap on (R) Repair - not here! Instead tap on next for Install. It will go thru several screens and it will get to a point where it looks for previous Windows on your system. Once it does this, it will ask you if you want it to repair the Windows it finds on your hard drive. ANSWER YES OR OK TO THIS ONE!

From there it will start a whole lot of working and eventually it will have you remove the CD and it will reboot. This should give you a new Windows, but your programs and data will be intact.

When I do this a window opens saying Set up cannot continue. The version of windows on your computer is newer than the version on the cd.
Wow, so your not catching a break at all on this. I feel bad for you. Looks like we are going to have to do a wipe and install. This will destroy everything. If this is acceptable to you, then redo the above, but this time do a total install and when it ask about repair of previous windows, do not do this, but instead do a clean install.
we dont have the cd for that computer. it wants the product key but when we put one in it says its the wrong one.

The CD in of itself is not going to solve the issue. The CDs do not have a product key on them. The unit would have the product key on a sticker on the unit somewhere, or may have the product key on a jewel case for the original CD. If you can find the product key, the CD does not matter.

I do not know how functional the system is, but if you can get internet on that unit, or another download and install this program and it will show you the product key used on that Windows:

http://download.cnet.com/Magical-Jelly-Bean-Keyfinder/3000-18487_4-10079600.html

We have the product key but the cd we have wont allow us to use it

Let me ask, does the Windows CD have the word Upgrade on it?

No it does not. It is the cd that came with an older computer. It is windows xp but an older version. When we put the cd in and restart the computer it does not give a choice of installing or repairing. We do click next until we get to the product key. We used the key number from the sticker on the computer. A message pops up and says that the product key is wrong and it refuses to go any further.
Tech Support Specialist: Mr. Clark, Computer Engineer replied 8 years ago
Mr. Clark
Mr. Clark, Computer Engineer
I was reading over this thread to see if I could assist you.

Do you still have that older PC? If so, does that older PC have the Microsoft COA sticker on it with the XP product key?
Yes we still have it and use it. Yes it does have the product key sticker on it. We no longer have the cd for the computer we're having problems with, not sure what happened to it (of coarse)
If you use the CD to the old PC, use the product key on the old PC that the CD came from.

OK Im in set up options ...using the product key from the old computer. My choices are:

1.to review or change the default options for copying and installing files 2. or to use special accessability features during setup. and of coarse Back - Next or cancel .

#1
By using that product key, this would mean that cannot use the old computer because you can only have one PC licensed per product key at a time.

what if we need the other computer? It is used here at the home office and must be accessable. We have already put the key in the other computer as requested, now your saying we're down the other computer? That wont work! How can we put it back?

You will need to purchase a product key for the version of XP to stay within legal parameters. I was just trying to help you get your downed PC functional.