how do i switch my speedstream modem to bridge mood

Customer Question
?...
how do i switch my speedstream modem to bridge mood ?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/24/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Kevin, Computer Systems Analyst replied 8 years ago
Kevin
Kevin, Computer Systems Analyst
Chat Conversation Started
Kevin :

Can you tell me the full model number of your Speedstream please?

Edited by Kevin on 6/24/2010 at 10:03 PM EST
the access code or the number of the modem?

The number of the modem...

5100

Thank you...

When you switch to bridge mode, the router will need to be set up to accomodate it to regain internet access. Are you familiar with that part of the setup? If you supply a brand and model number, I can help with that part too...

To bridge your Speedstream 5100, make sure you are connected direclty to the router via ethernet cable - no router at this point.

Open a web browser and enter this address: http://192.168.0.1/.

You will be asked for your access code - this is the one on the bottom of the modem. Once logged in, click Advanced on the left, then PPP Locations.

Select "Bridged Mode (PPPoE is not used)." You may get a warning or two - you can bypass this part and bypass it. Click "Change PPP Location."

Restart the modem and you are now bridged.

The router will need to be put into PPPoE mode with your username and password XXXXX again, if you have questions, please let me know.

If you get stuck after the bridge and can't get back online, reverse the bridge steps.

Edited by Kevin on 6/24/2010 at 10:15 PM EST
the router is a cisco linksys WRT16ON ver. 3. my problem to begin with was i got an xbox 360 with xbox live and i couldnt connect wirelessly because whenever i tried my xbox said i had a moderat NAT (network address translation). i asked xbox online help and they said i was "double nat-ing" with the modem and the router and i had to switch the modem to bridge mode. Will this other pcs and laptops connected by wires and wirelssly to the router if i bridge the modem?

when i the ip number you gave me into the browser it has a problem loading and wont load onto the page

You are definitely having a double NAT issue - bridging removes that.

If you bridge the modem and change a couple settings within the router, everything will work and you will be able to go Live with open NAT. I use a 360 also with a bridged modelan and a Linksys router and should be able to get this going for you.

When you attempted to open the 192.168.0.1 address - were you still connected to the router? It definitely needs to be at just the modem, not using the router for a bit.

If that is the way you did it, what is the version of Windows you are using?

Edited by Kevin on 6/24/2010 at 10:37 PM EST
hello sorry about the delay after switching to bridge mood my internet wasnt working but i got it fixed now. thank you. what settings need to be changed on the router?