My printer will not work. When I try to print it asks for Administrators…

Customer Question
My printer will not work...
My printer will not work. When I try to print it asks for Administrators name and code. What does that mean? Thank you technically inept
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/24/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Adam Mohr, Computer Tech/System Admin replied 8 years ago
Adam Mohr
Adam Mohr, Computer Tech/System Admin
Hello There!

Can I gather some more information from you?
What Operating system are you running? XP, Vista, 7, OS X?
What is the make and model of your printer?
Have you been able to print to this printer before, or is it new?

I suspect that the Windows is asking permission to install the printer driver again in order to send jobs to the printer.

Thanks,
My printer is an Epson Stylus NX400 Series It has worked before.
From what others have told me I think your suspicions are correct but what does that entail? I do not know what operating system I am
running. Thank you
You should be able to discover what operating system you are using in a couple of ways.

On your desktop, you may have an icon that says "My Computer." If right click on the icon and scroll down to 'Properties' a window will open. In that new window, you should see basic information about your computer including which OS you are running.

You may also have "My Computer" listed in the start menu, which you can right click on as well and select properties from the menu that appears.

Alternatively you could restart your computer and one of the initial loading screens should say what version of windows you have.
Let me know what you find out!
running. Thank you

Operating System is Windows XP
running. Thank you

Hello Again,

Regardless of your operating system, if Windows lost the driver for the printer, it is asking to reinstall it. When it prompts you for an administrator's account, simply enter a username and password XXXXX and click okay.

If you are able to install programs or devices when you are signed into windows, you have an admin account. just type in your username and password. If you are able to sign into windows without typing a password, leave the password XXXXX blank. You could also try typing administrator or the username with no password XXXXX well.

If you are not sure what your username would be, open a command prompt by clicking the start button >> all programs >> accessories >> command prompt.
Or you can click the start button, run, and type in cmd and click OK.

A black window will open and type in "net user" without the quotes and press enter. It will return your user name.

Keep an eye out for check boxes on the notification windows you are seeing that say "Don't ask me again"

If you check that box, windows should automatically do what it needs to install the drivers.

You could also try installing the printer again from the software that came with the printer.
It's me again
When I go to the black window it hhas the following written at the top
Microsoft Windows XP version 5.1 2600
c copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft cop.
C:\Documents and Settings\Zoe!

Zoe is my granddaughter

How do I clear this window/

Thanks
Hello again,

You can close the window by typing exit and pressing enter.

Looks like "Zoe!" is one of the default admin accounts. If windows asks you again for the printer driver, just type in Zoe! as the username with no password XXXXX see if that allows for the install.

Otherwise, the easiest thing to do might be to reinstall the printer again with the software CD that came with the printer, if you still have that.

Or you could download the driver here
Double click on the file once it finishes downloading and follow the install process - which for printers is usually pretty easy.

Let me know if you need more help.
Thank you I will go and get another installation CD if one can buy one separately. I do not seem to have the original everything but.

Vivien Von ah
You can download the drivers for your printer without having to purchase a CD

Download here

Type in nx400 in the Product Finder and click GO
Click Epson Sytlus NX400 on the new page the opens

Click Windows under Drivers and Downloads

Without knowing specifically which version of Windows you are running I suspect you could download and install the following drivers:

Scanner Driver and EPSON Scan Utility v3.45A
Windows Vista 32-bit Edition, Windows Vista 64-bit Edition, Windows XP, Windows XP 64-bit Edition, Windows 2000
epson12639.exe - 11.9MB - posted on 07/03/08

Printer Driver v6.62
Windows Vista 32-bit Edition, Windows XP, Windows 2000
epson12802.exe - 8.1MB - posted on 11/07/08

Drivers and Utilities Combo Package
epson13307.exe - 21.8MB - posted on 10/09/09

Thank you for all your information I was not able to download, so while at the store I bought a new Printer

Thank you Adam for all your effort

Vivien Von Ah
You're welcome. Sorry we couldn't find an answer that would work for you!

I wish you the best with your new printer! Laughing