my toshiba laptop screen is black -- I thought it might be…

Customer Question
my toshiba laptop screen is...
my toshiba laptop screen is black -- I thought it might be the mother board but the technician I took it to said it's fine - when I power on my laptop i can hear that it's running but I cant see anything -- could it just be a backlight issue that I can just replace?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/24/2010
Tech Support Specialist: DRobertson, Consultant / Technician replied 8 years ago
DRobertson
DRobertson, Consultant / Technician

Hi and thanks for writing us here at JustAnswer.com. Please know that to resolve your question may take some back and forth questions and answers. Help us to help you! We are here to help and will do our best to resolve your issue; we are not here to just make money. Also note that we do NOT work for any company and in no way represent them on their products and/or services.

Ok help me with doing the test below and I will try and help you make sure if it is a backlight issue on the LCD.

First test is that If it is a backlight issue, then you might actually be able to slightly make out the screen if you hold a strong light next to the screen. Try this and let me know the results.

Next, you can try an external monitor to see if you get picture on it. Make sure to consult your owners manual about what Fn key sequence is needed to switch to external monitor - if yours does not auto-switch.

Another item to check is to grab firmly the LCD and slowly pivot the screen back and forth on its hinges, and watch to see if the monitor comes on while doing this. I have seen shorts that will allow at a set angle the screen to come back on.

Finally, also look in your manual for the Fn key sequence and make sure the bright control is all the way up. You will simply want to tap it a good 10 times to make sure it is turned up, and at the same time see if the screen does respond.

Be sure to try all and to let me know the results, and then we can make some decisions on what needs to be done. Also, if you have any more questions on this, please do not hesitate to ask.

I can see the screen sometimes - it looks like its lighting up when I move the wire in the back around .... not sure if the plug on the left or not ... I am sorry I am a total idiot when it come to this stuff

Ok, thanks for the info and feedback, and please do not concern yourself about how well your doing on this. Your doing great!

Since this is a laptop I am not sure what wire your making reference to? Do you mean the power cord to the wall out?

I stand corrected -- please forgive me - i am actually corresponding with you for my friend in St Kitts ... this is super crazy ... ok here is what he is telling me ... he took the screen off - there is a 6 in cord with a plug on both ends - when he moves that cord it short circuits and he can hear a small popping sound and the screens comes on and off .. so ... it could just be that piece that it's plugging into ... I apologize .. .we have a language barrier as well on our end ... any help you can give is great -- if not, please change me for your time the $38 that I agreed to earlier ...

I think your doing fine under the circumstances.

Ok, so the LCD has only the cable connecting it. If it is popping when he moves it back and forth, this maybe due to a short at various spots.

He needs to hold the cord steady and only slowly move it at both ends - one end at a time. This can help narrow it down to be a short at the LCD side, where the cord plugs into the LCD, or, a short on the motherboard side, where the cord plugs into the motherboard.

The part that is going to be very hard to determine, is the part about if the short is at the connector on the wire at each side, or in the connector that the cord plugs into on either the motherboard or LCD.

We are looking at three parts to be replaced: Motherboard, LCD, and Cable. Since the cable is the smallest amount of money, then replacing the cable will be the first thing to do. This is of course, unless he can figure out that the connect itself on either the LCD or motherboard is what has the short in it.

Let me know once he tries to move the cord and figure out which side it is on.

Did this help any?