I recently bought an HP DV7 3173ca, I am having issues with…

Customer Question
I recently bought an HP...
I recently bought an HP DV7 3173ca, I am having issues with the virtual mode XP and was told that there by HP that there is an issue with the HAV in the BIOS, and that Windows and Intel are aware of it but there is no fix yet. I would like to install a seperate hard drive in the second bay with an XP OS, is this possible? I was told I may not be able to because of Windows 7 Pro and may have to remove 7 first? Is this true?
I also have a 80g hard drive left from updating my old laptop that already has XP and everything I need in stalled, is it possible to use this hard drive in the second bay?
Please resond asap.
Thanks for your help
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/24/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Mr. Clark, Computer Engineer replied 8 years ago
Mr. Clark
Mr. Clark, Computer Engineer
Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer.

Have you tried VMware Player (http://www.vmware.com/support/product-support/player/)? If you have the XP installation disc, you can create a VM VHD file and use VMware Player and basically do the same thing that "virtual mode XP" would do.

You could even use VMware Converter (http://www.vmware.com/products/converter/) to "convert" your physical second HDD into a VHD file and then run that VHD file in VMware Player, within Windows 7.

I just I'd throw that out there. It'd be easier that wiping Win7 to install XP or have two hard drives with different OS, etc.
Would I have to wipe Win7 from the whole machine to install XP on the second drive?
No. VMware Converter/Player is a program that runs within Windows 7.

It creates a "virtual" PC on your Windows 7 machine.

Ok, without VMware, I don't have any faith in Virtual machines at this point. If I install a second hard drive can I install XP on it without have to wipe the original system with Win7?

Can I use the the spare hard drive I already have with XP and all of the programs on it?

Thanks

I believe you will need to attach the 2nd hard drive, then modify the Windows 7 boot configuration to give you the option to either boot to Disk0/Partition0 (assuming that is Win7) or boot to Disk1/Partition0 (assuming this is WinXP) during the start up of the PC.

I'm going to opt out to allow another expert to assist you, as I have never done this in Windows 7. Good luck.
Do I need to start all over again or will someone pick up from here?
An expert will pick up from here. Good luck.
Anybody there?
Tech Support Specialist: romr2009, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 8 years ago
romr2009
romr2009, Computer Hardware Engineer
ve6hbiq.

• To use XP on your new laptop, you need an XP installation CD.
  • Microsoft uses hardware configuration/serial data from each individual PC to prevent each Windows installation from being used on a different computer.
  • This countermeasure has been in use since Windows 2000 and has gotten more sophisticated with each update.
  • The old drive from your other laptop will stop at a blue screen when you try to boot on another computer.
  • To use XP, you must install it on a new partition of the Windows 7 drive or install it again on your spare drive.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/8057-dual-boot-installation-windows-7-xp.html

Please click the ACCEPT button to release your deposit so I will be paid my commission. You can also come back to this same question later for follow-up. Thanks.

Romr

Edited by romr2009 on 6/24/2010 at 10:09 PM EST