My brand new1Tb passport drive has locked out cannot be recognised…

Customer Question
My brand new1Tb passport...
My brand new1Tb passport drive has locked out cannot be recognised by my PC and is not giving me a password XXXXX option though the drive is spinning
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/24/2010
Tech Support Specialist: abhi_iitian, Computer Software Engineer replied 8 years ago
abhi_iitian
abhi_iitian, Computer Software Engineer
Hi there,

What is the model of your drive ? HAve you tried connecting it to another computer ?

Abhi
It is a WD Passport SE 1 Tb it is 3 days old and yes I have tried it on another PC with the same result

When you connect it to the system, go to device manager, does it show there ?
No I have tried that also DM cannot see the drive

Please try the following :

1. follow this link from Microsoft 'A computer that is running Windows XP cannot detect a USB flash drive, an Apple iPod, or an external hard disk drive'
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925196/en-us

2. Replace the usb cable

3. Remove any casing if present and plug the cable tight.

4. The issue might be most likely a power supply problem. Western Digital will ship you a free Powerboost USB cable. Or you can pick one up from Radioshack. A USB port with it's own power supply or a PCI USB card might help.

5. try going here: http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?level1=2&lang=en

Select the drive you have and see if there are any FAQs about this problem or some software you can download to diagnose the problem.

Let me know how it goes

Abhi

Edited by abhi_iitian on 6/24/2010 at 4:48 PM EST
This is a passport external hard drive I ran the tests at the link but they apply to CD and DVD drives. Changing the cable makes no difference

Well, generally the cable is the culprit, I would request you to try with a new cable if you have not done so yet. It might be a power supply problem as I mentioned in my previous post
You misunderstand I have changed the cable and there is no difference. This is a WD Smartware software issue whereby the drive is password XXXXX but the drive is no longer presenting a password XXXXX The normal condition is for device manager and explorer not to see the drive until the password XXXXX been entered. Do you have any experience with WD passports or the associated software Smartware?

I see, if it was working earlier, we can try to restore your system back to earlier date which should in turn correct the issue.

Please do the following:

1) Click the circle at the bottom left then click on all programs, then click on accessories, then click on system tools then click on "system restore" and the window will open.

system-restore-confirm
View Full Image

In restore point, you can use scan for affected program option to see list of programs which are expected to effect from this restore process.

choose-restore-point2
View Full Image

Click Next, view and confirm restore settings and click Finish, Windows 7 will restore your system from specified restore point.

restore-finish1
View Full Image
I did a system restore last night as soon as I had discovered the problem it made no difference

I think the issue is not with the software but with the drive as it is not working on other system as well. Anyway , I will opt out.
Relist: Answer quality.
Need someone with better knowledge of WD External drives the previous respondent had no more knowledge than I. I had already completed all the actions he suggested
Tech Support Specialist: technical114, Computer Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
technical114
technical114, Computer Support Specialist
Hello, let me try to help you with you external disk problem.

First of all try another external disk or stick to be sure that the usb port is working properly.
Since you are sure that it's working properly, eject the trial usb and any other usb devices from the computer. Connect your WD normally at the computer. Probably your WD will not be accessible. Leave the WD connected at the computer for as much time as needed to be rebuilded the data indexing system. This will take days since your WD is 1TB.
Most of the cases that this problem occurs is due to unpluging the disk from the USB cable prior to eject it from the icon at the taskbar, so the indexing system at the disk corrupts.
Thanks for the effort but the USB port is fine and the disk was closed down and ejected properly.

I remain convinced that it is the password XXXXX software that is the issue as the prompt is not being launched and neither Disk Mgr nor explorer can see the disk though it is spinning quite normally
Since you insist ok, I'll take the back seat.