I have a toshiba satellite A200-AH7 laptop, two weeks back…

Customer Question
I have a toshiba satellite...
I have a toshiba satellite A200-AH7 laptop, two weeks back it stopped working completely i mean its power is working but the screen is gone blank there is nothing coming but you can hear all the noise when the computer loads. but there is no image can anyone help? and is there a way to fix it ?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/24/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Networking101, Information Systems Manager replied 8 years ago
Networking101
Networking101, Information Systems Manager

Hi and thanks for your question! Since you can hear things going on but the screen stays black, it could be a bad LCD screen or a bad inverter....

Try this:

Plug in an external monitor into the video port at the back of the laptop. Then power on your laptop. If you get ANYTHING on that screen, then the computer is fine, just the LCD screen or inverter is bad and will need to be replaced. If you get nothing on that screen also, it could be much deeper than that...

By the way, after hooking up the external monitor and powering on your machine, your laptop MAY have a key that turns on the back video port. If you look at your laptop keyboard, you should see a picture of a monitor on one of the keys (usually f8, sometimes f4) press the "FN" key and this key to toggle the monitor on and off....(this could also be why your main screen isn't working!)

Ok there is no sound anymore, till two weeks back when i started my laptop it was making a sound but there is no sound anymore ! and after hitting the Fn key it blinked for two times and now there is like nothing not even that blinking when i press it again!

the Fn key works as a three way toggle.

1) by default, it is only the LCD screen powered up.

2) Pressing the Fn+F8 (or F4) key turns off the LCD monitor and turns on the external monitor

3) Pressing it again turns on both monitors.

4) Pressing it again goes back to the original monitor.

So if you have an external monitor hooked up, and have tried the Fn+f8(or F4) keys and are still getting absolutely nothing, then we are looking at several things wrong at the motherboard level. (especially with the sound not working either now)