when i start my laptop it starts reboooting and wont do anything…

Customer Question
when i start my laptop...
when i start my laptop it starts reboooting and wont do anything else HELP
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/24/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Networking101, Information Systems Manager replied 8 years ago
Networking101
Networking101, Information Systems Manager

OK, the first thing we need to do is stop the reboot process to see what error it is causing.

1) when you power up the laptop, immediately start pressing the F8 key.

2) When you get to the advanced startup options, use the arrow keys and go down to "Enable automatic restart on failure" and hit ENTER.

This will keep the machine from rebooting constantly and should give you an error message that we can start to troubleshoot!

let me know!

tried that it came up boot menu

1 internal cd/dvd

3 legacy network card

hmm...we are missing something major here...one of them should be HARD DRIVE.

you said you tried to set the factory defaults, was this in the computer BIOS?

(You're getting the error message because it cant find the operating system)

yes

OK, lets get back into the BIOS.

Depending on your BIOS settings (all are different) we want to find the area for drives.

usually there are 4 drive areas:

Primary master

Primary Slave

Secondary master

Secondary Slave

The majority of the time, your hard drive resides under "Primary master". However look at all 4 of these settings and see if they are turned on. (should be set to auto). If they are, it will tell you what drives occupy what port

what we are looking for is the hard drive listed on one, and the DVD drive on another. We DONT WANT TO SEE "unknown device"...that would be bad!

Let me know what you see!

nothing at all like that

do you see a place on the left side that says something like drive configuration?

What brand/model laptop is it?

sata port 1 none

sata pore 2 cd rom

bios version pbpe2lon

easynote mh36

hmm..the SATA port 1 that says non should say hard drive.

I'm looking up your model specs now, there should be an area where you went into sata port 1 to set it to "auto" or "auto detect"...if it is there, set it for that while I look up your specs...

I have found a BIOS update that was specifically made for Vista...you will have to follow the steps at the page below to download it to a flash drive and then install it....

http://www.downloadplex.com/tags/bios+update/Page-32-0-0-0-0.html

type auto

multi selector tansfere disabled

lba mode control disabled

32 bit i/o disabled

transfere mode standard

ultra dma mode disabled

OK, it's exactly what it should be...your hard drive is not being detected...I would try the BIOS update just to make sure, but it seems that something has either become disconnected or your hard drive has crashed.

However before we know that for sure, lets try the BIOS update.

ok how do we do that

Just follow this link...

http://www.downloadplex.com/Drivers/Notebook/OTHERS/notebook-easynote_mh36-u-010ge-system-bios_154006.html

download it to a jump drive.

Place the jump drive in your machine and reboot, If it is possible, the BIOS update will start....if it fails to start, then we are looking at a bad drive...

It would not hurt to try to restore the defaults to the BIOS once again, and save the changes. Reboot and see if it happens to pick up the drive...if not tho, you may be looking at a hard drive replacement.

0200 failure fixed disc

i'm working from another laptop

sorry to say we have a drive that has gone belly up on us. Now it is POSSIBLE, with continued reboots, it MAY successfully mount once for you to get the data off of it, but the chances are slim...

If you feel comfortable with it, you will have to go out and purchase a new laptop hard drive and reinstall all programs. If you are not comfortable doing it, there are many places (best Buy, etc), that will do it for you...