I created approx. training 35 - 40 videos using Captivate 3.

Customer Question
I created approx. 35 -...
I created approx. 35 - 40 training videos using Captivate 3. Moved the .cp project files to a network server for "safe keeping" while waiting for a new company issued laptop. Received new laptop and copied .cp project files from network back to laptop. When I attempt to open any of the 35 - 40 .cp project files ...I am getting the error message " file already exist - do you wna to overwrite this file"? Overwrite or Save As - Regardless which option I choose, the error message "Captivate cannot open because file ... it's either not a supported file type or the file has been damaged.

HELP, please! I must have access to the videos for updating. It took several hundred hours and over 1 year to create this training module. Your reply is greatly appreciated and needed! Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX for your timely response!
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/24/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Tom K, Information Systems Manager replied 8 years ago
Tom K
Tom K, Information Systems Manager
Have you tried to open the files from within Captivate instead of double clicking on them from there folder?
Okay, I should have indicated that I have attempted to open the .cp file from the source folder and by opening Captivate 3 first, then Open, then select .cp file ...SAME RESULTS.

Did you work on any of the files while they were being stored on the network location?

I NEVER work on my Captivate files while connected to the network. In fact, the laptop which I am using to create my Captivate videos is never connected to the network, especially when using Captivate.

Ok, thats at least one good thing. Apparently working on Captivate videos from a network location is known to corrupt the file.

Lets give this a try though to recover your files:

Start a new blank project in Captivate that is sized identically to the project we are having issues with.

Once loaded, go to File, then Import, the Slides/Objects and see if you can import the files giving us trouble in to the blank one we just created.

Let me know the result.

Good morning Tom K. - I was teaching all afternoon, yesterday.

I saw this very same suggestion out on the internet and it too does not work. The error persists. HELP!

Lets see if we can open the backup files auto-created by Captivate:

- Go to control panel(Start>>Settings>>control panel)

- Double Click folder options

- In the folder options dialog switch to the view tab(2nd tab)
- Under the "Hidden files and folders" section select the "Show hidden files" radio button.

- Uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types"

- Press OK.

- Go to the location where you had saved your cp file. You will see a file with the same name having .cp.bak as extension

- Select the file and press F2.

- Now delete ".bak" from the file name.

- Try opening this cp file.

I really wish I could click the Accept Answer button.

However Tom , while changing the Explorer folder options sounded like a viable solution to my issue, it does not work. There are no cp.bak files to select in the folder.

What about the folder the files were originally created in on the old computer?

My IT support, recently scrubbed my laptop without saving my data file.

Ok Tom, go ahead and say it ..."I'm up a creak without a paddle" - aren't I?"

Not yet, lets try a few more things. I can at least tell you why you are seeing the error message though. It seems like the problem was created when you moved the files onto the network location. During the move, some sort of hidden file that was in the original folder did not copy, and since they have been moved to your new computer, they have been corrupted. Its truly a fault with Captivates software, as they shouldn't be keeping parts of save files hidden from the normal view.

Is it possible you are using a different version of Captivate on the new computer than the old one?

NO! I am the only user of the product and I've alway used it in standalone mode. All I did was to copy the entire content of my Captivate data folder to the network, for safe keeping. And, when my IT Support rep re-imaged my laptop, I was most pleased that I had the network copy of the project files. As I stated in the beginning, I've got some 35 - 40 .cp files; which I am sooooo desperately needing to restore.

Tom, I appreciate your hanging in there with me on this! Will you be able to continue to support me in this effort, over the weekend? If so, please communicate with me at my personal email address - [email protected]. I will be calling it a day, here at the office, in about 20 - 30 minutes (or less). If you have another possible fix, let me know now and I will hang around.

Unfortunately, the privacy rules only allow experts to communicate with customers on justanswer.com.

Lets check and see if we can open the .cp files in a different application. This will at least get us somewhere hopefully.

Download VLC Media Player from here: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html

Accordingly, VLC is able to open and play .cp files. Lets see if the .cp files will at least play.

After installing VLC, start it, then click on Media, Open File and navigate and choose one of the .cp files.

Let me know if they play using VLC.

Hi Tom,

I was requesting that you notify me via a different email address. Anyway, I am unable to download the VLC software at this time because, I am in the office and there is no wireless connection available

I will try to logon at the coffee shop during lunch, if possible. For sure I can do it tonight when I get home.

Do you have any other suggestions for me that I can perform here while at the office.

Again ...I never connect the laptop to the business network, I only use it in standalone. Even when I initially copied the .cp files from the laptop, I first copied them to an external drive - which I then used to copy the files to the network.

Unfortunately, I have no control over what email address the notifications are sent to. As far as I know this is something you set up when you first used this site to ask your question.

As of right now, lets just see if using VLC player will at least play the presentations, and then we will look into how we can recover them.

Very well Tom, you will hear from me tomorrow. Thanks!
Ok no problems, I'll hear from you then.
I have been on travel for the past month and I just found out that Just Answer debited my card for $38. My initial problem has not been resolved by Just Answer. Please make the necessary adjustment to my account.
Refund has been requested.