I am unable to connect to Skype. The settings show that I am…

Customer Question
I am unable to connect...
I am unable to connect to Skype. The settings show that I am not connected to the internet, yet I am able to go online. What should I check?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/24/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Michelle, Computer Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
Michelle
Michelle, Computer Support Specialist

go to settings and the information to ensure that an ip address is listed over there.

further, to renew the ip address, follow the below steps:

Menu...Settings...Advanced....Internet Settings

in ipmode select the dynamic option and click select

after that click back in internet settings.

after that try connecting through skype.

in case still the problem persists do post back with any kind of error message or code you recieve.

Where am I supposed to look for menu and settings. When I go to settings it tells me connection speed unknown because person seems to be offline.

first of all you need to change few settings in the windows firewall specifically for

skype.
to do the same.. Click Start ... All Programs .... Control Panel
double click on Windows Firewall icon
Make sure the check box for "Don't allow exceptions" is unchecked.
Click "Exceptions" tab
Click on the "Add Program..." button below the list of Programs and Services.
Select Skype from the list and click OK.
Click OK to confirm your settings.
Restart Skype

In case above does not work try the below:

Close Skype
Go to C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone and rename Skype.exe to

Skype1.exe
restart Skype using the new renamed file, you will be prompted to allow Skype to connect to

the internet, select 'Allow'.

do let me know if the above works else we need to follow some advanced steps:do share the deatils of your internet service provider and the router that is being(in case its used)

Michelle
Michelle, Computer Support Specialist
unable to find Skype in C: program files. The firewall does show that it's allowed Skype. I will be gone for a couple of hours. will check back .
I am back now and still waiting for some more suggestions/
I am still waiting for an answer. No far, nothing that you suggested seemed to work
Relist: My problem was not solved!.
My problem was not solved!
I have tried your suggestions but am not able to connect to Skype. Ican connect to the audio test but not to any of my contacts.
Tech Support Specialist: Renju, Computer Software Engineer replied 8 years ago
Renju
Renju, Computer Software Engineer

I will try to assist you further on this matter.

Can you tell me the version of Skype you are using ?
If you are not using the latest version (4.2), Let us start by uninstalling your Skype and download the latest version from here and install it in your computer.

Let me know if you are facing any issues in doing this.
Post me once you have installed the latest version.
I have the latest version
Ok. Good.

Now Open Skype and login to it using your credentials.
After logging in, click Tools -> Options.
In the options window ,click Advanced and then click Connections.

Check if Automatic Proxy detection is selected in the list.
Also , check if the use port 80 and 443 are ticked.
All that seems to be in order.
Ok. Good.

After logging in, what is your status ? Does it show as Online ?
See the Skype icon in your task bar. It will be Green if you are Online.
There is a green check after my name--is that what you mean by online. The bars are all green except for the video bar.
Ok.

Your settings seems to be fine.
Now, you have mentioned in the question that you were able to access Skype normally before.

Did you try to update Skype or install any softwares in your computer during the period when Skype started failing to connect ?

Also, tell me when do you get this "can not connect" error ? Does it occur when you try to call a person ?

Yes, when I am trying to connect to a person. I have reinstalled several times . Skype was working fine until 2 weeks ago today.
Ok.

What is the anti virus software installed in your computer ? Check if it has an inbuilt firewall ?
Do you have any external firewalls installed ?

Can you tell me the exact error (full message) that you get while trying to connect to a person ?

Edited by Renju on 6/26/2010 at 6:15 PM EST
Thanks for yoyr attention. I tried using Skype and it works.
Hi.

Good to hear that your problem is solved.
Feel free to come back to us if you face any more problems.
Thanks once again for contacting JustAnswer.