I have some music files that I downloaded, files that heretofore…

Customer Question
I have some music files...
I have some music files that I downloaded, files that heretofore I have opened and enjoyed effortllessly are "effortful". When I click on these files, what ensues can best be described as a rapid-fire frenzy of flashing failed file attempts at file opening until I Control-Alt-Delete. Any suggestions?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/24/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Tom K, Information Systems Manager replied 8 years ago
Tom K
Tom K, Information Systems Manager
What program do you typically use to listen to music files?
Windows Media Player. When I download the files, the icon in the folder is an internet explorer logo. The source of the music files offers me three kinds of files: MP3/Apple/and something called FLAC.
Can you right click on one of these files then select Properties, under the General tab of properties, can you tell me what the 3 letter extension is of the file (like .mp3, .wma, .flc, etc)?
mp3
Now right click on one of the files again and this time select Open With, can you select Windows Media Player and does the music play normally?
Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file. The file is an MP3 file in a zip format.

Ok you need to unzip the files first before you can use them.

Follow this link to download and install WinAce: http://www.oldversion.com/download_WinRAR_3.62.html

We will use WinAce to unzip the compressed files.

After WinAce is downloaded and installed, right click one of the files and choose to Extract Here. Your files should extract and try playing them again.

I am required to post this as an answer, but please only click on Accept Answer if you are able to listen to your music files. Otherwise, please do not click on Accept Answer and post back here so we can find a better solution.

Edited by Tom K on 6/24/2010 at 6:16 PM EST
Okay. I downloaded the file, but I am confused how I am to use the file to "unzip" the music file.

If you right click on the file, should be an option to Extract Here. Click on that to extract the music file to the current folder you are in and then try to play it. Let me know if it works.

What a cluster-f**k. Now, when I download a fresh music file from the site and try to open it with the new program, I get graphics from a nearby music file and a NEW message as to why the file cannot be played. To be honest with you, I'm over it. I am certain that it is my computer/software/whatever. Thank you for trying. You can have the money...I don't care. I'll just try to purchse the files elsewhere if they are available.

Thanks,

g

Now I have inadvertantly installed a group of programs that I don't want. Also, my default internet page is now YAHOO, not MSN ans I've gotta figure out how to change that shit.
What is the website you were downloading the files from?