My computer start up is having trouble It keeps shutting down…

Customer Question
My computer start up is...
My computer start up is having trouble It keeps shutting down What is the solution to the problem
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/23/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Networking101, Information Systems Manager replied 8 years ago
Networking101
Networking101, Information Systems Manager

Hi and thanks for your question!

A few questions to help me:

After you start your machine, how long before it shuts down?

Does it give you any error message before doing so?

Does it completely shut down to where you have to press the power button to turn it back on?

Is this a desktop computer or a laptop?

and finally, when did this start occurring?

It may shut down anytime. Some times while I'm using it and them start right up again . Sometimes I get a blue page with messages and sometimes a black one. Sometimes it refuses to start unless I shut the power off, and back on. It gives me error messages .Sometimes I have to press the power button. This is a desktop computer, and this started occuring from ten days to two weeks ago

OK, what yo u have given me is excellent information. Anytime a computer powers off and then powers itself right back up again, or powers down and you have to power it back up, there are only 2 possible reasons:

1) The power supply is going bad and needs to be replaced.

OR

2) the system is overheating and powering itself off before physical damage is done.

If it is overheating, you may be able to get a can of compressed air and gently blow the dust and debris out of the fans, off the board, processor etc. Just take the cover off after you have unplugged the unit and spray the compressed air gently and in short bursts to clean the machine.

Power up the machine and make sure all fans are running. If ANY fan is not running, it needs to be replaced immediately. These cool the processor and memory and if they have failed they need to be replaced ASAP.

If all fans are working, then we are looking at a power supply issue. it will have to be removed and a new one put in it's place. The good thing is they generally only run about 35.00 dollars or so...

Hope this helps!

Tech Support Specialist: Richard, Computer Specialist replied 8 years ago
Richard, Computer Specialist

Hi there, and welcome to JustAnswer

Can you please tell me the version of Windows you have