Hi,,Some people still get multiples when I forward or reply.....it…

Customer Question
Hi,,Some people still get multiples...
Hi,,Some people still get multiples when I forward or reply.....it seems connected to my Outbox....Each time I send something out the outbox has a (l) in it...My sent box has nothing.....If I don';t want people to get the multiples I just delete the outbox..but it shouldn't happen....Can you fix this..?? I called Optimum but thqt didn't help...Last week some fellow from there said My server is not completing the connection....sounds logical to me...but I'm not computer savvy..Need to fix this for good...and also...got a message that I have to change to Windows xp....pack 3....so...It's no fun for me and I hate this thing sometimes...so frustrating....don't even know anyone who can help really...If you can help I will be very happy...sorry for the hiatus...been on a cruise...pre-planned. Lois
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/23/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Adam Mohr, Computer Tech/System Admin replied 8 years ago
Adam Mohr
Adam Mohr, Computer Tech/System Admin
Hi Lois,

I can try to help you diagnose and fix this problem you are having. A couple of questions first.
What are you using to send email (outlook, thunderbird, webmail, etc.)?
Is Optimum your Internet Service Provider, or a computer company?
Is this a personal or business email account?

Email issues can be difficult to diagnose, so the more information I have the better :)

Thanks,

Edited by Adam Mohr on 6/23/2010 at 11:16 PM EST
My e-mails are Outlook Express
Optimum is my dsl........optonline.net
this is a personal computer
Hope you can help...Lois
Hi Lois,

Thanks for the information.
The very first thing I would do is go to www.update.microsoft.com and install all the updates.

2nd: sign into Optimum's web mail at the following:
https://signin.optimum.net/signin?referer=https://webmail.optimum.net%2F&source=webmail
Reply or forward some of the emails just to verify that the messages are going through correctly. If not, and your recipients are still getting duplicates through web mail, then I would contact Optimum again.

3rd: Once you verify that the emails sent correctly, I would double check your outlook express settings with the instructions below:
Setting up Outlook Express with Optimum
You may even want to delete the outlook express account you set up and start from the beginning.

If you are still having issues, you may need to ask Optimum for some updated instructions on how to configure their email with outlook express.
Unfortunately, the answer that Optimum's support gave you about the server not completing the connection wouldn't make sense because Optimum IS your email server since you are not a business and don't have an email server sitting in your closet Smile

If this answer doesn't work - feel free to respond and I'll continue to help.
Before I try sending e-mails and letting it multiply...I tried the Updates...thing on microsoft and came back with four that had big x;s on them....then I tried to solve it but can't...
rsvp next step..thanks...I'm not to swift w this machine....it is complicated for me and there is so much info...thanks. lois
Hello again.

Sorry to hear the updates failed. I see that you were notified to update to Windows XP service pack 3.
Below is a link that should take you directly to the download website to get and install SP3.
Just click the download button in the blue area on the page. A new page will open and it will ask you to either save or run the file. If the download doesn't start within 30 seconds, click the Start Download link on the new page. (screen shots of this are included below)

If you choose run, the file will download and should start to install immediately. If you choose save, make note of where you are saving the file to. Then, once it has finished downloading, locate the file and double click on it to start the install.

Service Pack 3 will take 30 min to an hour to complete - depending on the speed of your computer. Once installed however, Microsoft Updates should work for you again.

Service Pack 3

or copy paste this into a browser
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=5B33B5A8-5E76-401F-BE08-1E1555D4F3D4&displaying=en

After you get this update installed - let me know how it goes with the other steps I listed as well :)graphic

graphic
Sorry Adam.,Both suggestions don't work..nothing happened....
My daughter just called and asked me to delete what I sent her this a.m...she got 92 of it...so I went into outlook express and deleted the l item in my outbox...hope it helps her...so that is the problem i have been having....
What else can we do???
Phew...92 emails..that is pretty hefty.

To clarify, when you clicked on the link for Service Pack 3, and clicked download, nothing happened - as in the download wouldn't start?

There may be a couple of reasons for this. You may need to update your Internet Explorer which you can do at the following site: Click Windows XP in the right hand column and it should start automatically. Once you update Internet explorer, try downloading and running Service Pack 3 again.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/worldwide-sites.aspx

Also, make sure you are using Internet Explorer when trying to download. Microsoft is picky about what Internet browsers can access certain updates.

If all of this fails in trying to update your computer, then you may have some sort of corruption in windows or a virus that is either
A) preventing updates
and/or
B) causing the issues that you are experiencing with outlook express
Where do I click Windows xp to use my right click...can't find it...and I have been using internet explorer for awhile....I used to use Mozilla Firefox.
All that is meant by right click is using the button that is on the right side of the mouse.

Left click would be using the left side button on the mouse (the button that is primarily used) and right click or right clicking would be using the button on the right :)
I didn't mean that...I know how to right click...just that what I was looking for..( what you told me)...wasn't there......On my top line is the address...the second line is file, edit, view, etc.....not able to right click and get Windows xp...that is all i meant...
Sorry...I don't think this is working very well,,,,I just responded to you on the e-mail before this
Let us start fresh....
I JUST CHECKED AND MULTIPLES STILL GO OUT..THEY GET HUNG UP IN THE OUTBOX...I MUST DELETE THEM FROM THE OUTBOX AFTER I SEND THEM...THEY DO NOT GO INTO MY SENT BOX AS THEY SHOULD.
Hi again
Sorry for the confusion about the right click Innocent To answer that question finally though, at this website:
the download section is broken into two columns, and to update Internet Explorer you just needed to click Windows XP on the column that is on the right side.

Anyways, to start fresh I did some more research as well. It looks like this problem is caused by multiple issues.
A)Virus - have you don't a virus scan recently on your computer?
B)You Sent Box is full. Try deleting a number of messages from your Sent Folder, and see if that helps.
C)To make sure that you have selected the correct send options:
  1. On the Tools menu, click Options.
  2. On the Send tab, click to select both the Send messages immediately and Save copy of sent messages in the 'Sent Items' folder check boxes.
  3. On the Connection tab, click Change under Internet Connection Settings, and then make sure that the correct dial-up or local area network (LAN) settings are in the list.
  4. Click OK, click OK, open the message in your Outbox, and then click Send.

D)On your Outlook express got to Tools>accounts>mailtab>double click the account name>advanced tab
Uncheck the box marked "Break apart messages

E)The outbox file outbox.dbx file is corrupt. Your mail folders or e-mail messages within the folders may be damaged. There are two ways to troubleshoot this type of problem. The first method is to concentrate only on the Outbox folder. The second method is to create all new folders.

You can create a new Outbox folder using the following steps:
  1. Exit Outlook Express.
  2. Search your hard drive for Outbox.dbx and delete this file. Search your harddrive by opening My Computer >> C: (local disc)>> Press Control + F This opens the search pane in Windows Explorer. Choose Advanced Options and search hidden files and folders. Search for the following: *.dbx The asterisk acts as a wildcard character.
  3. Restart Outlook Express. A new empty outbox folder is created automatically.
You can create all new mail folders if you create a new identity. After you create the new identity, you can import your old e-mail messages to your new identity.

F)Creating a New Identity/all new mail folders
  1. On the File menu, point to Identity, and then click Add New Identity.
  2. Type a name for the new identity, and then click OK.

When you are prompted to switch to the new identity, click Yes. Outlook Express quits, and then restarts with the new identity.
  3. Follow the prompts in the Internet Connection Wizard to configure Outlook Express for your new identity.
  4. When the Outlook Express Import Wizard starts, click Do not import at this time. You can import your files later.
  5. Create a new e-mail message, and then send the new e-mail message to make sure that the new identity is working correctly.

Import Messages from the Old Identity to the New Identity

loadTOCNode(3, 'moreinformation'); After you send an e-mail message from the new identity, you can import messages from your old identity:
  1. On the File menu, point to Import, and then click Messages.
  2. Under Select an e-mail program to import from, click your version of Outlook Express, and then click Next.
  3. Under Specify Location, click your old identity, click OK, and then click Next.
  4. Click All folders, click Next, and then click Finish.
Much of this information came from the following Microsoft Knowledgebase article:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;262052

HI,,,LISTEN!... YOU ARE TRYING TO HELP ME BUT I DON'T UNDERSTAND ALL THIS STUFF...I OPENED MICROSOFT.COM AS PER YOUR INSTRUCTIONS AND WITH MUCH TROUBLE I FINALLY RAN XP 8....4 ITEMS WOULD STILL NOT INSTALL.. THEN...I EMPTIED ALL MY 2008 SENT ITEMS.

THEN...I CLICKED ON OPTIONS...THERE WAS NO SEND TAB...I FOUND THE CONNECTION TAB...THERE WAS NO CHANGE CONNECT SETTINGS...AND NOW I'M EXHAUSTED...COULDN'T YOU COME INTO MY COMPUTER AT A CERTAIN TIME WHEN WE'RE BOTH HERE AND FIX THIS FOR ME.....??

I AM CAUSING YOU TO WORK HARD I KNOW...BUT I DON'T KNOW WHAT ELSE TO DO???? DO YOU WANT TO KEEP HELPING ME?? OR SHOULD I QUIT OR DO SOMETHING ELSE?? LOIS

Hello again!

Well lets try to do the easiest potential fixes first.

Let's try to create a new Outbox folder using the following steps:
1. Exit Outlook Express.

2. Search your hard drive for Outbox.dbx and delete this file. Search your harddrive by double clicking on the My Computer icon on your desktop

3. double click C: (local disc) then Press Control + F (ctrl+F). This opens the search pane in the window.

4. Choose to XXXXX and search hidden files and folders.
Search for the following: *.dbx The asterisk acts as a wildcard character.

5. When you see the file outbox.dbx, you can delete that file.

Restart Outlook Express. A new empty outbox folder is created automatically.

If this doesn't solve your problem, it might be best to delete your account in OE and start from scratch which I can try to help you with as well. Otherwise, you may want to search your area for a local computer guy to come and assist with updating your computer/diagnosing your issue.

I'm glad to continue to help you as well Laughing
IF I DO WHAT YOU SAY....DELETE MY OUTLOOK EXPRESS I WILL LOSE ALL MY FOLDERS...THERE IS ALOT IN THEM I NEED TO SAVE...WHAT DO I DO????
Hello.

Deleteing the outbox.dbx file will only remove any files in that particular folder. Outlook will recreate it next time you open OE.

If you remove your current account, then yes, I believe all of your data would be lost, but a back up can be made.

To make a backup of all of your emails and contacts before removing your current account, here is a step-by-step guide from Microsoft:
Back up and restore Outlook Express Data

ADAM....I HAVEN'T DONE ANYTHING BECAUSE OF WHAT I TOLD YOU....I DID NOT DELETE THE OUTLOOK.....BUT.........I BELIEVE YOU DISERVE CREDIT FOR THIS....SOMEWHERE IN WHAT YOU SAID I DECIDED TO DELETE ON YEAR OF SENT ITEMS......I DID THAT....HAVEN'T TOUCHED COMPUTER FOR TWO DAYS..BEEN BUSY.....NOW...HOWEVER,,,I BELIEVE THAT MIGHT HAVE SOLVED THE PROBLEM......IT SHOULDN'T HAPPEN THAT WAY BUT I THINK IT DID....I DELETED ALL SENT ITEMS OF 2008.......STILL HAVE 2009 AND 10 ON THERE...HOWEVER,,,,WHY SHOULD THAT HAPPEN?????

IF MY PROBLEM IS SOLVED I WILL BE GLAD TO PAY YOU...GIVE ME A FEW DAYS AND LET'S MAKE SURE IT'S FIXED...OKAY??? THANKS.. LOIS

Hi Lois!

I'll keep my fingers crossed that this fixed the problem. As to why it may have fixed the issue, the files that outlook stores all the messages in usually have size limits, so if a folder gets too full, no more can be put into the folder - in this case, the sent folder.

These limits on folder sizes are put in place partially to avoid the problem of them becoming too big and completely inaccessible.

So, since you deleted a lot of messages from your sent items folder, you freed up some space allowing messages to leave the outbox and be put into the sent items folder.

Let me know how things go for you!

OKAY...GIVE ME A LITTLE TIME TO SEE IF ALL IS OKAY..SOME FRIENDS BLOCKED ME AND I;LL ASK IF THEY WILL REINSTATE ME...I NEED SOME TRUST HERE...

HAVE A GREAT DAY....I'M STILL TOO BUSY TO FUSS W THIS AS MY DAUGHTER DIDN'T LEAVE TOWN YET.....IT'S OKAY TO CHECK BACK WITH ME IN A FEW DAYS..IF THIS WORKS I WANT YOU TO GET PAID....LOIS

AND BY THE WAY..MY AUNT AND UNCLE WERE SYDNEY AND LILLIAN MOHR...HA...MAYBE WE'RE RELATED..

Sure, I'll check back in a couple of days if I don't hear from you.

In case this questions closes automatically here is the link to bookmark/write down

http://www.justanswer.com/questions/3nqxk-hi-some-people-still-get-multiples-when-i-forward-or-reply-it

You can bookmark this page (save to favorites) by pressing Ctrl+D in case you need to access it in the future.

Who knows, we might be related - There aren't too many Mohr's out there!
Adam....So far part of your answer seems to have helped me...It's the part of deleting the sent box.....I haven't accepted your answer yet as there is a discrepancy w the booking dept. at just answer.....I want you to get paid and we will staighen this out soon..Lois
Great! I'm glad you are having success with your email account now - Thanks for the update!