I started getting a message on Monday while using Outlook that…

Customer Question
I started getting a message...
I started getting a message on Monday while using Outlook that I've never received before. A box continually pops up saying "a program is trying to access email addresses you have stored in Outlook. Do you want to allow this? And then I have to select yes/no and a number of minutes.

It will not allow me choose no, I've tried. And I haven't stored any addresses in outlook so I'm baffled as to why it started, what I can do to stop it.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/23/2010
Tech Support Specialist: David L, Systems Engineer replied 8 years ago
David L
David L, Systems Engineer

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX am here to assist you.

It sounds like this may be a malware issue. So next run a full scan (after shutting down all applications especially Outlook) using your current antivirus software and then once the scan is completed, download, install and run a second scan using the free version of Malwarebytes which you can download at the link below:

click here

Then after the scans are completed, reboot the computer then test to see if the issue is resolved.
Hi David,

I'm currently running the malware scan. How long does that normally take? I'm at one hour so far? Just wondering since I need to leave my computer in about 40 minutes and hoping it would be completed before I left.

I sure hope it works.
The lenghth of the scan depends upon the speed of the computer and the number of files on the hard disk and also the speed of the scanning application. So it could be between 1 hour and 3 hours in most cases.
Well, I ran the entire scan and no malicious files were found and that did not solve the problem. Ideas or suggestions?
Yes, reboot the system then start tapping the F8 key before the Windows logo appears then select Safe Mode with Networking then after bootup let me know if the pop up still appears.

If not then reboot to Normal mode then click Start and type Msconfig in the Search box then press Enter then click the Startup tab in Msconfig and deselect all non-Microsoft applications (if not sure whether they are Microsoft or not check the path which usually shows a Microsoft name or something else) then click Ok and reboot and test to see if the pop up still appears. If it does no then enable the deselected applications one at a time followed by a reboot each time until you find the one causing the issue then leave it disabled.
David,

I tried the safe mode networking and the pop up box still appears. The other offer of typing msconfig mode and going through each microsoft application appears to be more than my non-technical background can handle. I don't have the comfort level to do it and I honestly don't have the time. I've now put in a half day between yesterday and today and it is still not working properly.

I think I need a professional to help out so I'm going to have to sign off on this one and move elsewhere. I truly appreciate your help in trying to give me a fairly simple fix. I'm totally baffled by what happened on Monday afternoon that started this whole thing.

Thanks,
Christy
One other thing you could do that is simple is to perform a System Restore by doing the following:

1. Click the Start button, then click Programs, click Accessories, click System Tools, and then click System Restore.
2. If you are prompted for an administrator password XXXXX confirmation, enter the password XXXXX provide confirmation.
3. Click the Restore My Computer To An Earlier Time radio button and click Next.
4. Now on the calendar that appears select the restore point that is at or before the date the issue first occurred and click Next.
5. Click Next again to start the restore process which will include a reboot.

If it just started and no changes were made to the system at the time, this may solve the issue. If not the process is reversable by opening the same System Restore utility.

Still doesn't work. I restored but it wouldn't let me choose a date from a calendar. It would only restore to Jun 22 when I downloaded Vista service pack. And it took 45 minutes to restore and still didn't work.

Sorry but all of the solutions still haven't worked. I need to move forward. Thank you for your help.
Ok then I am going to open up this question to other experts in case they have additional ideas.
Tech Support Specialist: Qin Xia, Computer Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
Qin Xia
Qin Xia, Computer Support Specialist

I will continue to help. Since you already scan the computer, I would think that message is part of outlook security feature or from security update.

What version of outlook do you have, 2003 or 2007?

Let me know and I will help you solve this.

Thanks.

Give a try to download this this free outlook plugin, click.

After install, it will allows the message to be turned off for
Very simple to use just extract the file and run it

It should solve your problem.

Good Luck