Last week, or so, I asked a question and received an answer…

Customer Question
Last week, or so, I...
Last week, or so, I asked a question and received an answer which looked very promising. My order # XXXXX(NNN) NNN-NNNN I followed the instructions which seemed very clear and easy until I got to the fifth line. It told me to Open "Non-Plug and Plug Devices". There is no such thing under Show Hidden Devices. There is Non-Plug and Play Drivers. Ultimately I tried that but again could not find "TDSServ.sys". At this time, I am lost. I do believe the virus is getting worse. The neote from you says it is a browser hijacking tool called the go.google.com virus. Can you help me??? My email is:[email protected]
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/23/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Bryan, Computer Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
Bryan, Computer Support Specialist
Hi, and thanks for using JustAnswer.

First off, please open Start > Computer, then navigate to the following location on your system:
C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\

Open up the 'hosts' file present, in Notepad.
Now, copy the information specified in the file excluding the lines preceded by '#', and paste it here, so that I can check up on it accordingly.

Regards
I have a feeling this will be a "fgun" game. U clicked on Start, but there is no "Computer" listing. Then I went to Settings/Control Panel/System and found nothing similar to what you wrote. HELP
Is there a 'My Computer' listing present in Start?

Regards
No, but there is an icon on my desktop. When opened there are icons of things like different discs, etc. Then over on the left side there are things like System Tasks and Other Places. Gurgle, gurgle. I'm drowning :-)
No problem ...now, is there a 'Local Disk (C:)' listing present?

Regards
As Sarah would say, "You betcha"
Good; please go further into it, and into Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\.

Wow! I got thru that. Here's the only line that is not p[receeded by an #

127.0.0.1 localhost

Hope I did that right. Lord knows a telephone would work a lot better.

Okay ..now, please download the following free Norton tool, PowerEraser:
http://www.symantec.com/norton/support/DIY/index.jsp

Download and run the tool, and remove any security threats detected. Done that, let me know if the browser redirect issue persists now as well.

Regards

Just to let you know: From my previous contact, I did run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware as directed. It said, "The scan completed successfully. No malicious items were detected, check "main menu".

Unfortunately, I am on Dial-up, so Downloading the program you are suggesting may take 45 min. or so. Will you still be awake?

This is a different program from Malwarebytes, and has been known to work for the redirect issues as well. Just drop a message when you are done running this tool, and I'll get back to your at my earliest convenience.

Regards
I did download the program but then ran into problems when I tried to go farther. I am totally frustrated and don't know what to do, so I think I will take the computer to mybfriend who made it originally. Thanks for your try. I just don't understand some of the questions it asks me. Have a good sleep.
Okay ..it's time for me to step away now, so we will continue this tomorrow.

Thanks for your continued patience.

Regards