My monitor is going out when left idol. We have to turn it…

Customer Question
My monitor is going out...
My monitor is going out when left idol. We have to turn it on and off a few dozen times in order to get it to come back to the desktop page. The screen shows vertical lines and spaces, some in color as well as black white and grey.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/23/2010
Tech Support Specialist: tbwhite2040, Computer Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
tbwhite2040
tbwhite2040, Computer Support Specialist

When you say going out do you mean completely shutting down with no power as if it was turned off by pressing the power button or do you mean it has gone into sleep mode when the computer is sleeping?

Like a sleep mode but when you move the mouse it does not come back on again. You have to turn the monitor on and off and on and off many times to get the desktop background to come up again. Is this the info you are seeking?

Have you tried hitting the Enter key to wake the computer up to see if the monitor will wake up also or does the computer ever go into standby mode?
Yes we hit enter or move the mouse and the monitor screen stays black. You then have to turn the monitor on and off many times, before it will eventually bring back the desktop page or the page that requires you to enter your log in name. Each time you turn the monitor back on what appears on the screen are vertical lines and spaces (kind of like what you see when you are defragmenting your system) The lines are some times color but also are black white and grey, and the pattern is different each time.

The problem is either your video adapter is going bad or you have the wrong video driver for your system. I would suggest going to your computers manufacturer website and download the latest driver for your video card.

If you have already downloaded the latest driver, I would do a rollback of the driver in the device manager.