I have a Gateway Laptop and it has Windows 7 on it.

Customer Question
I want to set it...
I have a Gateway Laptop and it has Windows 7 on it. I want to set it back to manufacturing settings, but 1st I would like to make a backup disc for my pics that are very important to me.

It started about 2 wks ago where I can only search on 1 search engine. I had IGOOGLE homepage and could go on Yahoo and Bing all the time. Those are the mose pages I use to visit and search things through and now I can only search anthing through ASK search engine. Its almost like my access to other websites are limited. I can still do all the things on my computer I use to do but only through ASK. I willnot go to GOOGLE, YAHOO or BING home pages at all. When I try to go to those pages it says INTERNET EXPLORER CANNOT DISPLAY THE WEBPAGE.
I tried restoring to an earlier time and it didnt work and I even downloaded a different internet browser at some1's suggestion and it wont let me search through that as well. Please explain in clear terms because I am not very knowledgeable of computers. Some1 said its probaly my firewall. I am not sure but I have NORTON INTERNET SECURITY.
   JUST HELP ME SET MY COMPUTER BACK TO MANUFACTURING SETTINGS. I HAVE NOT RECEIVED ANY SO CALLED COMPUTER EXPERT ADVICE THUS FAR AND GETTING TIRED OF DEALING WITH 1 PERSON ALL DAY AND THEM TELLING ME TO DO THINGS I EXPLAINED I HAVE ALREADY DONE. JUST WANT MY COMPUTER TO WORK LIKE IT DID WHEN I GOT IT BACK IN MAY.
Thanks in advance.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/22/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Tom K, Information Systems Manager replied 8 years ago
Tom K
Tom K, Information Systems Manager

It seems like there is possibly malware effecting your computer.

I realize you probably have your own anti-virus or malware program installed, however I would like you to download and install MalwareBytes on this computer and run a full system scan. MalwareBytes is a free program and typically does a better job of finding viruses and malware on a computer than most other anti-virus/malware programs.

MalwareBytes can be downloaded here: http://www.filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/

Follow that link and click on the Download Latest Version button to start the download. Install the program, and choose to update when prompted by the installer. After installing choose to run a Full system scan and after the scan is complete choose to remove all the infected objects it finds.

(Don't be confused by any of the ads saying to purchase MalwareBytes, these are just for the paid version of MalwareBytes which offers system protection automatically. All we want is to scan this one time and remove any infections found which is available using the free version.)

Restart your computer after doing this and try connecting to Google or Bing again.

Let me know the result.

I am required to post this as an answer, but please only click on Accept Answer if you are able to connect to Google or Bing after following my instructions. Otherwise, please do not click on Accept Answer and post back here so we can find a better solution.

Thank you. I will try right away.

Post back here with the results.

I did it and it still scanning and it has found nothing so far. It takes this long?????

It usually takes at least an hour, possibly a bit longer. This is why MalwareBytes is better than a lot of paid anti-virus programs, it looks at every single file to look for infections. Depending on the size of your hard drive it could be a bit, but when its finished remove any infections it finds, restart your computer, and try Google and Bing again.
OK. Thank you. I will keep you posted.
Hopefully this will do the trick.

It just finished scanning and found no malicious items were found. Do you think that I accidentally blocked those websites from myself??? Any more suggestions?

It could be they were accidentally blocked somehow. We can reset the Internet Explorer settings in order to test this theory out.

Open Internet Explorer then click on Tools in the top right corner of the Window.

From Tools pick Internet Options.

Within Internet Options click on the Advanced tab.

Under the Advanced tab click on the button on the bottom that says Reset...

Check to delete all personal settings then click on Reset.

After the reset is complete shut down all open internet explorer windows and then open them back up. It might be worth restarting the computer completely too.

Try Google or Bing again and see if they can connect now.

Thanks. Doing it now.
I just did it and it didnot work for me either. I am stomped.....
So when you enter www.google.com into the web address bar it just comes up with an internet explorer error page? What does it say exactly on the page?

It says INTERNET EXPLORER CANNOT DISPLAY WEBPAGE.

Follow this link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956196

See where the Microsoft Fix It button is, click on it and run the installer/fixer.

Let me know the results after running it.

I just had them to run it and it found no problems to cause this. Now I am really confused. Do you think I blocked these sites from the computer??