I have a Latitude D610 I purchased through Dell financial services...I…

Customer Question
I have a Latitude D610...
I have a Latitude D610 I purchased through Dell financial services...I am now having an issue with IE8 I have no access to the standard toolbar, am unable to download anything and am not able to view my favorites? can you help?
Service tag 7V57L81..I should add there is nothing written on the tabs but I can access IE...
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/22/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Deep, Computer Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
Deep
Deep, Computer Support Specialist

Thankyou for choosing Just Answer.

Please download and install the Mozilla Firefox Browser Link . This should Fix the problem. Thanks.

Please click on the green ACCEPT button if this Answer resolves the issue.
As mentioned previously I cannot download anything?

Please Install the latest updates. Windows Update provides free updates for Windows operating system software and hardware, including updates for Internet Explorer. To ensure you're getting all updates for Internet Explorer that might address the problem, make sure your Windows Update settings include recommended as well as important updates.Here is what you have to do,

Open Windows Update by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking All Programs, and then clicking Windows Update.

In the left pane, click Check for updates, and then wait while Windows looks for the latest updates for your computer.

If any updates are found, click Install updates. Administrator permission required If you are prompted for an administrator password XXXXX confirmation, type the password XXXXX provide confirmation. Thanks.
For any issues please get back to me.

I have done all that I could just reformat hardrive as I have backed all my files and programs, can you give me the dos prompt to do this? I have an older version of Windows XP could load that and then uodate all programs? I am a senior and have 'some'knowledge of computers but am not an expert for sure..what is the prompt?

When you boot the computer keep on pressing F8. A screen will come up. Select the option which says "Safemode with Command Prompt". You will get the DOS screen.

If you want the DOS Prompt on the Windows mode select the Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt .
Thanks.

Please click on the green ACCEPT button if this Answer resolves your Query.
I want the command prompt to format hardrive something like cd c\ and the format c it's a dos prompt

In that case
Now on the DOS Screen on the Command prompt type format C. But make sure you have the XP CD or win XP setup backed up on a separate drive like D or E. Thanks.

Please click on the green ACCEPT button if I have resolved your Query
I guess I can't try this to see if it works and then accept answer? seems to me from past experience you had to start with cd c\ and then format c is there a dot after the c ?
I apologize my error it should be format C:
It should be cd c\
To format C Drive you should have a bootable disk. In that case you have to boot with the disk from your cd drive prompt may be F: or G: and type format C:
Thanks.

Please click on the green ACCEPT button if this Answer resolves the Query.
It should be cd c:/

deep I am completely confused, what is a bootable disk would I have one? if I have a windows xp os cd can I use that..

The bootable disk helps you to boot the computer to dos prompt.

The windows xp cd will do the job for you. Just run the cd and follow the instructions. It will format the C drive itself. Thanks.

to boot from cd do I need to press f11 or f12 or something?
At first you have to go to the Bios Setup Screen. Restart the computer keep on pressing F2 or Del. Now carefully change the boot order to i.e. First boot to cd. Save and exit the setup. Now the computer will boot with the XP cd.

Once in the BIOS you will need to use the Enter key, Up/Down keys and Plus Minus keys to navigate with and make the changes, each bios is different so you will have to look for the Boot Sequence area and make the changes, once done be sure to save them and re/boot with the OS/CD in the drive.

New/Clean Install/Re-Install

Set Bios to boot from CD/ROM as first boot device
Place the OS/CD in the CD/ROM drive and Re-Boot
Watch for the prompt to "press any key to boot from CD/ROM" Press ASAP(Ignore when prompt appears on any reboot)
(You will only get this prompt if there is an XP/OS installed on the HDD)
windows Setup (Loads Files)
To setup XP now press "enter"
Press F8 for license
To continue installing a fresh copy of windows without repairing press "ESC"
For a new or unpartitioned drive press"C"
For a drive that has partitions, operating system
or any data on it, you should press "D" to delete the partition and start out with a clean drive.
Press "enter"
You will be prompted again, press "L"(You will do this for each partition) , Now you are ready to partition and format
Press "C"
To create a new partition, enter a size below and press "Enter" (Note=You can create more than one partition here or press "Enter" to utilize the entire drive
To setup windows on the selected partition press "enter"
Select format NTFS with quick option, (Should be the top selection)
Press "enter'
Wait for format to complete
Computer will start copying files to the installation folders (this may take several minutes)
Computer will re-boot, do not press any key to boot from CD/ROM when prompted.
follow the on-screen instructions to complete loading windows.

Please don't forget to click on the green ACCEPT button if this Answer resolves the issue, that is how I will be paid for my time and work.
I am really sorry this is taking lots of your time, I will try that and then get back to you and asccept the answer ok?
Ok that will be great Im sure you will be able to do the setup without any problems.