I AM NETWORKING WITH VISTA AND WIN 7. FROM VISTA I CAN NOT…

Customer Question
I AM NETWORKING WITH VISTA...
I AM NETWORKING WITH VISTA AND WIN 7. FROM VISTA I CAN NOT SEE THE FILE ON WIN 7 C:\. I WANT FULL ACCECC TO ALL NETWORK COMPUTERS FROM ANY OF THE NETWORK STATIONS.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/22/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Phil Lovatt MCP CCNA, Information Systems Manager replied 8 years ago
Phil Lovatt MCP CCNA
Phil Lovatt MCP CCNA, Information Systems Manager

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you today. Could you tell me if you can see any other files on the other PC like a different drive etc? or shared printer?

Phil

This is a change by design to possible increase security for your system in Windows 7.

To share the entire C drive to everyone isn't a good idea.

Anyone can change and delete files/folders on your C drive which contain important files/folders in order for Windows to function correctly.

Anyone can accidentally delete your Windows folder and cause your system to crash or accidentally move files to a different folders cause system to become inaccessible.

It is recommend for you to create and share specific folder ONLY, not the entire drive.

There is a change in Windows 7 with regard to sharing the C drive. The default security template no longer include "Everyone," which is not the case in Vista.

In order to share C drive with no authentication, you have to add "Everyone" to Security. If you do not want to add the "everyone" group you could always do as follows:-

Here's the Solution to be able to share a whole DRIVE under windows 7:

Rightclick on the Drive you want to share.

Go to properties->Sharing->Advanced Sharing

Under permissions make sure you add the user AND the group "Authenticated users" and give both full permissions.

There you go, now you can share your drives and you do NOT have to chose "Everybody" =)

Hope this sorts out your issue. Please contact me if you require further assistance.

yes

no, i want to share with everybody..no problem for eveybody. so how may i see the win 7c:\ root drive and all files from the vista machine?

Under permissions make sure you add the the group "Everyone" and give full control permissions.

Under the security tab you then need to add "Everyone" and give them the permissions that you wish them to have.

I hope this helps.

not the solutions

In what way is this not the solution? Could you please give me more info?

Regards,

i can not see files on win 7 c:\

call me at XXX-XXX-XXXX

Could you try this and let me know...

1. Set permissions on C drive for group\users "Everyone" to allow Full Control, Change and Read

2. You need to setup a user password.

I know this is a pain sometimes but to be able access the hard drive on Vista and Windows 7 via a network you have to setup the password. After you setup the password, reboot the machine and sign on. Then go to the other machine on the network, click on the "Network" icon on your desktop (or if not on your desktop, on the right side when you click the start button). Once all the icons for your network computers show up double-click on the icon for the machine you just setup the password XXXXX You should see a dialog box that asks for a user name and password. The user name is XXXXX XXXXX of the user on the machine you just setup the password XXXXX (I know on some store bought machine the user name is XXXXX XXXXX the manufacturer,ie: on some HP's the user is HP_Administrator). After the user name enter the password XXXXX you just setup and make sure the box is checked that says remember this connection. Click OK. You should now see the C drive on the other machine.

You also have to setup the share for the drive on the machine that you want to access via your network.

Hope this helps

One more thing to mention is that when you map the network drive you should put a "$" sign at the end of the drive mapping.

Eg: \\computername\c$ could you check to see if that was the issue?

Regards,

i do no want to use a pass word...

If you try with a password XXXXX for test purposes we can see if that was the issue. Also if you choose "remember password" you would never be prompted for it again.

Can you also confirm that you are trying to connect to the C Drive with the "$" sign as outlined above?

Regards,