Recently, I tried to uninstall Norton in an effort to get Mcafee.

Customer Question
As soon as I uninstalled...
Recently, I tried to uninstall Norton in an effort to get Mcafee. As soon as I uninstalled Norton, my computer was totally messed up. I can't go online. My computer insists that I am not connected to the internet. When I try to connect, it tells me I'm already connected. I also noticed that the Windows firewall is unable to start.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/22/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Kevin, Computer Systems Analyst replied 8 years ago
Kevin
Kevin, Computer Systems Analyst

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX thank you for giving me the opportunity to help you with your computing question.

Does the computer still start up and go into a screen you can work with other than the internet not working?

Yes. It starts up. Asks for my password. Shows me the desktop. It basically does everything normally except I can't go online and I can't turn on the windows firewall. I only know about the firewall thing because I got a notice saying that it was not turned on.

Okay - this could be a few different things. It may take a bit of time to get this diagnosed.

My guess is you may have some malware problems - let's go with that first.

Do you have a flash drive you would be able to use to move a file to the computer?

No, I don't. But I can get one.

Okay - let's try to get you online first, just in case.

Start up the computer and open Internet Explorer. At the top right, click Tools, then Internet Options. Click the Advanced tab.

Make sure Never Dial a Connection is selected, then click LAN Settings. Disable everything on this page, then click Apply.

Next, click Start then type this command in the Search bar and hit enter:

ncpa.cpl

Right click your connection, then click Properties. Click IPv4 TCP/IP Protocol, then click Properties. Make sure both the IP address and DNS server settings are set to automatic.

If you are online at this point, download and run this program:

http://tinyurl.com/yj9udk8

Then this one:

http://www.combofix.org/

Are you back to normal at this point?