my screen name was hacked

Customer Question
and i can't get on...
my screen name was hacked and i can't get on my facebook without it or see important emails how do i get it back?

Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/22/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Mr. Clark, Computer Engineer replied 8 years ago
Mr. Clark
Mr. Clark, Computer Engineer
Welcome to JustAnswer.

I would like to start off saying that I am not a representative of AOL. I am just giving you a straight answer as an IT professional.

Go to the forgot my password page (https://account.login.aol.com/opr/_cqr/opr/opr.psp?null).

If you cannot reset your password XXXXX way and/or cannot provide the proper credentials to reset your password, you may be out of luck.

If you have a paid AOL account, you can contact their support to reset your password XXXXX 1-888-265-8003

If you have went through the resetting the password XXXXX and the answers to your security questions have been changed, unfortunately, it is very unlikely that you will be able to recovery your account, since there is no way to verify your account.

In the future, I would suggest using a password XXXXX at least 10-20 characters, with a mixture of UPPERCASE, lowercase, and numbers (1234), preferably alternating (i.e. M1y2p3A4s5S6w7O8r9D). Also make your security questions very difficult to answer. Don't use something as common as mother's maiden name or first child's name. Make the answer very difficult, and I would even suggest throwing in a sequence of numbers at the end of the answer to make it harder for the hacker.

Also, before you log in, look at the address bar of your browser to make sure you are on the right site to log in. (i.e. make sure your address bar says https://www.aol.com and not something like http:// 123abc. randomurl.com/ www.aol.com/). A lot of phishers/hackers have been using the tactic of making a page look exactly like your log on page to trick you into typing your password.

If in doubt, type in the base URL yourself (i.e. http://www.aol.com) in the browser.

The number to AOL support is 1-888-265-8003, but I will need to forewarn you, unless you have the AOL paid service, there will not be much you can do, because you will not be able to verify your identity.

If you do have AOL paid, verification will be easy because you just need to verify your billing information.

I wish you luck. In the future, I would advise taking the password security steps I listed above and invest into a paid e-mail service to ensure you can always verify yourself.

Good luck.