B. Rath helped me clear the Tidserv infection on my desktop…

Customer Question
B. Rath helped me clear...
B. Rath helped me clear the Tidserv infection on my desktop June 13, 2010, but it's returned. On June 15 I updated ver 3.8 of Norton 360 to ver 4. Today Norton reported it found Tidserv infection in \windows\system32\ipsec.sys and referred me to their web site for manual removal. ipsec.sys is the same file that Combofix found on June 13, disinfected, and "restored copy from Kitty had a snack :p". Norton's manual process suggests replacing an infected driver by expanding the corresponding file in recovery console. The cmdcons folder Combofix downloaded from Microsoft doesn't contain ipsec.sy_ Should I assume I have a new infection of Tidserv and run Combofix again? Or should I try something else?
Warren Turner
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/21/2010
Tech Support Specialist: DRobertson, Consultant / Technician replied 8 years ago
DRobertson
DRobertson, Consultant / Technician

Hi and thanks for writing us here at JustAnswer.com. Please know that to resolve your question may take some back and forth questions and answers. Help us to help you! We are here to help and will do our best to resolve your issue; we are not here to just make money. Also note that we do NOT work for any company and in no way represent them on their products and/or services.

At this point I am wondering if the unit was ever totally clear of the infection. I say this because many viruses are triggered by an event, like the date and time.

I recommend we make a bootable anti-virus CD and then after downloading it on another system, and burning it to CD, bot to it on the infected system and let it scan.

This will take any and all software out of the loop from running in the background and, has I have seen, interfering from the the anti-virus running like it should.

Below are the instructions:

Go to another PC and the go to the following link.

http://www.f-secure.com/linux-weblog/files/f-secure-rescue-cd-3.11.23804.zip

This link will have a file that will automatically start to download when you click the link above. Download it and unzip it, then burn the .iso (this is a disk image file and must be burned thru software that can use a disk image) file to a CD. This is an .iso file, so you do not do anything with the file at all. Your burner software will know how to use it.

You will then want to boot to the new CD on your original PC. You will put the CD in the tray then do a normal reboot. The CD will take over and it will first update itself (trys, but sometimes is not able to do so - not a problem if it can not) then it will do a total scan of your system for viruses and such. Let it run and take note of it finds any of them. When it is done take out the CD and "hard" reboot your system, using the power button.

Let me know once done if this does not solve the issue and I will be happy to help more.

My old LT has XP Pro, but only a DVD-CD ROM drive. Do I dare burn the iso image to CD on the infected desktop? Before you answer that, Norton 360 Ver 4 has found a second problem on the desktop - an apparently corrupt Gear driver that Norton uses to backup (one of the features of 360) to CD/DVD. My backups via Norton appear to run normally, but the BU is to the C drive. Norton has given me a two year old routine to fix which goes on for two pages to remove the driver files and the associated registry entries, install Gear (a fresh download), followed by more edits to the registry. Does this have anything to do with the Tidserv problem?

If I need to use a second computer to burn the CD will any computer with a CD-RW drive work?

Warren

I feel that we are looking at two separate issues, but then again, I am only about 68% sure of this.

Yes, any unit with a CD burning unit will do. No, do not use the infected unit to burn the CD. Although you may not have an issue with burning it and such, I would rather use another unit and take the possibility totally out of the equation.

Leave the other part about Norton and the fix out of this, until we have done the scan of the unit.

As of June 22 I matched a second computer with CD-R drive and burning software, and ended up with the Rescue CD. But the User's Guide contains a warning that using the CD "on a working operating system may rename essential system files and so cause your operating system not to start." It then goes on to describe using the OpSys repair disk to reinstall thereby losing all installed programs and data. I don't have a repair disk, and the Recovery Console downloaded by Combofix (stored in C:\cmdcon) has a minimum number of expandable replacement system files.

I'm beginning to think the fix is worse than the problem. Can I run the Rescue CD and get an option as to whether or not to rename an infected file?

If I do nothing, I have a smoothly operating system, and I think Norton 360 prevents me from infecting anyone else. Googling Tidserv gives me very little info on the progress of this, currently, mild infection. I ran a complete scan on Norton today and the only infected file was ipsec.sys now renamed ipsec.sys.vir in the quarantine folder. Norton reported that ispec.sys remaining in Windows\sytem32\drivers is uninfected!

Thanks for responding.

Since we are so different in our time of day from each other, I am going to opt-out, so that when you are online in the evening, someone that will be online also can work with you on this.

I hope all goes well and God bless!

Be glad to have you continue since I'm not trying to solve the issue in real time. But from your response, I assume I'll hear from someone else at Just Answer, and will do nothing further until then.

Thanks for your help, and God bless!