Hello, I am trying to open my husbands maxtor portable hard…

Customer Question
Hello, I am trying to...
Hello, I am trying to open my husband's maxtor portable hard drive on my macintosh computer. It has worked before. However, nothing is showing up on the desktop. I have tried to remount it a couple of times, but now it is making a little chirping noise (consistent...chirp, pause, chirp, pause...). Any thoughts on how I can get this to work? He has a ton of valuable information stored on the hard drive. Thanks! Stephanie
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/21/2010
Tech Support Specialist: James, Sr. Computer Support Expert replied 8 years ago
James, Sr. Computer Support Expert
Chat Conversation Started
James :

Stephanie, the noises you are describing are bad news. Can you try and connect it to another computer and see if that works?

Customer:

Hi James. I don't have another computer here right now. I'll have to try that later. I am worried the hard drive has died. If that's the case, can the data be recovered?

Customer:

Oh, I unplugged it while I was waiting for your answer, and it's not chirping now...

James :

Try to connect it again. If you get to the files, download them off the drive ASAP.

James :

The sounds you are hearing mean the drive is dead or dying.

Customer:

I did reconnect it and it still doesn't show up.

James :

If the drive is dead, there is a company I can give you the contact for, that specializes in recovering data from dead drives.

James :

They will put the data on a DVD, and ship it back.

James :

www.werecoverdata.com

Customer:

Is there any way to get it to show up on my desktop now? Thank you for the link...

James :

If the drive is dead, there is no way - since the data is not accessible.

Customer:

Do we know for sure the drive is dead? I worked just a week or so ago. I've only had it for about a year...

James :

We can't know for sure - the best way to test is to connect it to another computer.

Customer:

okay. I will try that tonight. Is there a way I can log in later to "accept answer?" I have never done this before and just hope to get this resolved before I do so. Thanks so much.

Customer:

I have to run to a meeting right now. Sorry. I will check back after my meeting.

James :

Sure, no problem.

Chat Conversation Ended

Your expert is gathering additional information and will be back with you shortly.