I have a Maxtor One Touch III external hard drive that is not…

Customer Question
I have a Maxtor One...
I have a Maxtor One Touch III external hard drive that is not detected by my computer anymore. I've tried in on another computer and it still will not show up. The hard drive started making noise and then stopped turning on completely. Can I remove the hard drive and put in a new external casing to retreive the data?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/21/2010
Tech Support Specialist: James, Sr. Computer Support Expert replied 8 years ago
James, Sr. Computer Support Expert
Chat Conversation Started
James :

Hi, can you try and describe the noise you heard?

Customer:

The noise was a humming sort of noise. I unplugged it right away and it's been sitting in the closet and I just pulled it out to troubleshoot again and now it wont turn on. The light comes on for a second and then just disappears.

James :

Okay. Is sounds like the USB enclosure is bad, so putting the disk in a new one should resolve the issue as long as the disk is ok.

James :

It doesn't have to be from any specific vendor, and don't pay over $30 for it.

Customer:

do i need to make sure it's the same size (2GB)? Also do I need to look for any other info when I buy it? We have Best Buy and Office Max but not too many good computer stores

James :

You need to make sure the size and connector are the same - best thing is to take the drive with your to the store. Best Buy should have those. Not sure about Office Max.

Chat Conversation Ended

Your expert is gathering additional information and will be back with you shortly.