hi have a dell computer that powers up then shuts down

Customer Question
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/21/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Freddy M., Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
Freddy M.
Freddy M., Support Specialist
Does it beep at all? Do you see anything at all on the screen when this happens? What is the service tag number on the machine?

no beep yes says f1 and f2

Is there anything else on the screen but F1 and F2? What is the service tag number on the machine?
diminsion e510
Is there anything else on the screen but F1 and F2?
no screen is blue then shuts off right away
Ok as the machine is starting up continously tap F8. If it brings you to a menu choose safe mode and let me know what happens. If you get into safe mode log in and let me know you were able to log in so we can continue.

okay tapped f8

safe mode etc can up on screen

Ok are you currently logged into windows under the safe mode account? Also what version of windows is this?
windows xp did not hit enter on safe mode should I ???
Yes please hit enter on safe mode and log into the administrator user account. Once you have let me know so that we can continue.
says windows media center edition
Did it let you log in to the administrator account?
should i hit enter where it says windows xp media edition ????
Yes it should give you a prompt to log in. Please press enter and let me know if you can see the start menu.
okay the only thing that show s up is at the top of the screen something muilti disk 32 etc along the top of the screen rest of the screen is black
Ok please give me the exact message at tthe top of the screen
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)/DANGEROUS URL REMOVED

Unfortunately that means either your windows installation is corrupt and needs to be reinstalled or the hard drive has failed and needs to be replaced. If you do not have a windows xp disc you will need a technician to do this as you will not be able to without the disc. If you do have a disc however follow these steps.

First insert the windows XP disc into the drive
Then when the machine says press any key to boot from CD press enter
Wait for the windows setup to load completely
Then highlight the windows XP partition it should be labeled windows XP
Then hit R on the keyboard
This will start a repair installation of windows

If the windows disc cannot find the hard drive or the repair does not completely unfortunately it means that the hard drive has failed and needs to be replaced.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please click "Accept” so I am paid for my time. I am only paid if you click “Accept”.

If my answer did not work please let me know instead of giving negative feedback.

A Bonus and Positive Feed Back are appreciated.

Please note that not all issues can be fixed online.

The steps you were given may have confirmed the only solution is repair.

If that was the case please click "Accept”.