When I edit text the rest of the document gets screwed up.

Customer Question
Pages change or disappear. What...
When I edit text the rest of the document gets screwed up. Pages change or disappear. What is up?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/21/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Phil Lovatt MCP CCNA, Information Systems Manager replied 8 years ago
Phil Lovatt MCP CCNA
Phil Lovatt MCP CCNA, Information Systems Manager

Hi My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you in answering this question for you today!

First of all could you tell me what you are using to edit the text please.... Word? Notepad? Etc.

I thought this was an InDesign help site because that is how I was directed to your site.

In InDesign (first time using it), when I edit text -we are talking about a few words on 2 different pages- the rest of the document produces multiple mistakes including other text being moved to different pages, pages disappearing, pages appearing in wrong places of the document, etc.

The only possible answer I have been able to come up with so far is that there are 3 links missing from the document that I cannot find either by trying to re-link them with the product itself or within the folder that was given to me that contains multiple missing links. Unfortunately, these particular missing links do not appear in the folder.

And I'm not even sure that this is the reason at this point.

Hope this is clear.

I sort of get what you mean.... could you try shutting down your computer and creating a complete new document to see if the problem is with just one document or a problem with the software. In the meantime I will investigate further.

I await your response.

It is definitely not the document, because it is an existing InDesign document that has already been converted to pdf here before. I'm having a similar problem in another document. If it's not a links issue, I can't seem to come up with another explanation. Since no one else at my company knows this product, I'm the go-to-guy.

Before you said it was InDesign I was gonna say about the insert key on the keyboard, but I have never used InDesign so therefore it's difficult for me to troubleshoot. The only this I could suggest it to try opeing the file on a collegues PC. If it works there then I would uninstall and re-install InDesign.

Let me know how you get on.

My understanding is that if you cannot produce an answer, that someone else who at least knows the topic will be assigned to my question, so I'll choose that option.

Ok Thats fine. I would have tried to resolve this but if you would like me to opt out to see if there is an InDesgin expert I will gladly do that. I would however suggest you still follow through with me previous advice to help you resolve your issue.

I will OPT out now to see if someone else can help.

Regards,

Thanks for you help. It's appreciated but this needs someone who is familiar with the product. Hopefully you folks have one.