Im typing a document where I need different margins on subsequent…

Customer Question
I'm typing a document where...
I'm typing a document where I need different margins on subsequent pages. I did a page break for a new section, but when I change the margin on the second page from 2 inch to 1 inch, even though it says it's now 1 inch in the margin box, it doesn't actually change on the page, so it still prints with a 2 inch margin. What do I do?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/21/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Mike D - Computer/Electronics, Information Systems Manager replied 8 years ago
Mike D - Computer/Electronics
Mike D - Computer/Electronics, Information Systems Manager

Hello! What program are you using to create this document? Are you using Microsoft Word? What version?

I'm using Microsoft Word. I am currently using version Microsoft Word 2007.

There's a way to do this, but I dont think its what you want. Basically you can trick Word into having one set of margins on the first page, but all the rest of the pages have to remain the same.

Your best bet on doing this, is to create a table on each page and adjust the size of the table accordingly. Set your margins to Narrow, and put a 1 column by 1 row table on the page, once you fill it out, or before, you can go into your table properties for that table and on the Table tab is a button called Options where you can manually set the margins for that cell, which is the table.

In essence, your doing all your work inside a 1 cell table, and manually setting the margins for that cell, getting exactly what your looking for Cool

That isn't what I want to do. For one thing, going back through my whole 60 page document and creating a table on every page is way more work than just copying and pasting each individual section into a new document to fix the problem. Secondly, the narrow margin setting still adds 0.5 inches to the margins, so my margins still wouldn't be right. Third, I have to turn in not only the printed version, but an electronic version as well and I'm not sure that the formatting you're suggesting would be acceptable to meet the requirements. Also, it's not just that I want the first page to be different then all the rest. There are lots of pages that require different settings of margins. Typically, the way to do this is to insert a section or page break, which I've done. For the most part this has worked with many of my sections, but for some reason every once in a while it's like word gets stuck and even though the settings look like they're correct, the text does not move to the correct position. My question is why is word doing this? Is there a glitch or is there some button that I need to press which I haven't done already? If you can't answer that question for me, then you can't answer my question. I'm looking for an answer to that specific question. Thanks.
When I tried what you suggested on the one page/section that is messed up, it still didn't work. Even though I have reset the margins for the table (i.e. once again I've set the margins and they say that I have a 1 inch margin setting), the text remains at the 2 inch margin (top margin) position. I even went in with the ruler to manually change the margins, but the ruler is set at the 1 inch margin position while the text is obviously still at the 2 inch margin position. I have no idea why word is doing this.

Microsoft Word 2007 is not capable of setting different margins for different pages unless you save each page as a seperate document. This is why i suggested using a 1 cell table (and hiding the borders) to create your margins. If you go into word, and you goto the Page Layout section on the ribbon bar, and change the margins to Narrow, you will the have a 0.5" margin on ever edge of every page in your document.

If for example, you want a 1 inch margin on page 1, and a 2 inch margin on page 2, then you would want to select and cut the contents of the first page, insert a 1 cell table and paste in what you had cut. Then you would want to enter the table properties and change the margins to 0.5", the reason for 0.5" instead of 1" is because the table you are using is restricted to the margins of the page, which is 0.5", so since you already have the 0.5", you have to add another 0.5" margin in the table to complete the 1" margins.

For page 2, if you were wanting to use a 2" margin, you would have to set the margins of the table to 1.5", since the page margin of 0.5" plus the table margins of 1.5" will equal 2" total. Does that make more sense?

If the minimum margins you will be using on any page is 1", then you can set your page margins using the ribbon to 1", then compensate for the difference with a 1 cell table on each page that is using more then 1".

You mentioned that this method would probably not be acceptable when turning your paper in, but the thing is, if your required to use seperate margins on different pages, this is really the best way to do it since Word is not capable of multiple margins on each page.

Another method, if only the left and right margins are what needs to be modified, you can use the tab stops on the ruler, and for each paragraph, at the beginning you would have to hit the TAB key to tab to the correct tab stop, and begin typing.

Does this make more sense?

It made sense the first time. You are incorrect when you say, "Microsoft Word 2007 is not capable of setting different margins for different pages unless you save each page as a separate document." All you have to do is put in a page break between pages and then you can set different margins for different pages. Apparently, I know more about Microsoft Word 2007 than you do. No doubt you'll take my money anyway even though you weren't helpful. My original question was "Is there a glitch in the system?" I had everything set up properly using page breaks, however the text did not move. You did not answer my question. I have since already started and finished a new document to fix the glitch and I did not use your method because I think it is ridiculous when there is a perfectly good way to set up different margins on different pages by inserting page breaks. You did not answer my question about the glitch. Let me emphasize that. YOU DID NOT ANSWER MY QUESTION.

I am correct when i say you can not set margins on different page. The method you are thinking of is not page margins, you are thinking of tab stops.

When you look at the top of the page, and you see the ruler, clicking different spots on that ruler putting in the little L shape looking shapes on the ruler are tab stops, NOT margins. When you use a page break, yes it does allow you to set those per page so those tab stops dont run down your whole document. Your margins are setup in the Page Layout ribbon under Margins. If you click that button, you get a drop down with different presets of Page Margins, you can choose Custom Margins at the bottom and set them yourself. Margins and Tab Stops are similar in a way, but completely different at the same time.

To use those tab stops, you need to do exactly as the name says, use the Tab key to tab over and stop at those specific points. When using the leader and alignment bars to do nearly the same thing as setting margins (except with this you dont have to use that set margin), it works the same way i mentioned with the 1 cell tables. If your margins are set to 1 inch, and you drag the bar over to 1 inch, you now have set a 2" lead (or margin as you like to call it). To use the leader bar and not have to deal with the margins set in the Page Layout, you can drag away the shaded area on the ruler bar to expose white only on the left and right sides of the bar, and you can do this as well with the ruler bar on the side of the page.

If it wasnt working for you like you explained before, the problem you were having when setting the leader bar to 1" and still getting a 2" margin when printing is most likely because of what i mentioned in the last paragraph. 1" margins + 1" lead = 2" total margin.

I hope this answers your question, either way i will opt out. You came here to get help from the experts, but you deny what we know. Its sort of contradicting. That is your answer, there is no glitch, and we will not take your money.

No, I'm not thinking of tab stops. I know how to change tab stops as well. I don't know why you brought up the ruler. After I set a page break, I am going into page layout and margins, not tab stops. On the drop down menu, one of the different presets of Margins that comes up is at the top... the last margin that I customized. I'm well aware of what I'm doing and what I'm talking about. I don't even know how you got into a conversation about tab stops with me except that you're trying to make it look like you know what you're talking about when you don't. You only think you know what you're talking about, but it seems as though you have no clue and therefore, you are not an expert, so there is no contradiction. By the way, if this is justanswer.com's interpretation of what an expert is, I will never use it again and I will recommend via any method I have at my disposal that anyone I know not use it either. You could have just owned up and admitted that you made a mistake when you said that Microsoft Word 2007 is not capable of having different margins on different pages. I can send you a document that proves that it in fact can do this. When I said there was a 2 inch margin, I meant MARGIN, not tabs. And, if you had read my question thoroughly, you would realize, that in all of my document, the way I was changing the margins was working for me, except on one page where it seemed that the text got stuck no matter what I changed the margins setting to... including your recommendation of a narrow setting. Setting the margin to narrow did not move the text to the 0.5 inch margin. Well, you finally answered the glitch question there at the end. Amazing!