sytax for starting win xp from a c prompt

Customer Question
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/21/2010
Tech Support Specialist: s4sys, Computer Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
s4sys
s4sys, Computer Support Specialist
Chat Conversation Started
s4sys :

Hi

s4sys :

what exact problem you facing?

s4sys :

Why you want to load windows from Command prompt

You can't load windows from command prompt, you can copy the system files if it missing through command prompt

Let me know what exactly you looking for

With Regards,
Chindhu

Edited by s4sys on 6/21/2010 at 3:25 AM EST
Was running Norton Ghost 2003 as usual to make a backup. It hung and would not launch. It reverted to a DOS screen and indicated the program failed and was returning to Windows. This happens sometimes and is not unusual. But it always reverts right back to Windows, no problem. Today it also hangs at the 'Returning to Windows' notification. I have two different rescue boot-disks. They can both get me to a DOS 'C' prompt. I can access the entire directory of 'C'. But... I need the correct command systax to launch Windows. I need the correct commmand to launch windows from that 'C' prompt.

Can you help?

I guess your windows is working without any problem and you want to load windows from the ghost error cmd screen but from the command prompt You can't launch windows. You have to reboot your system to launch windows.

with regards,
chindhu
Stand-by, will send image of the screen.
graphicStand-by, will send image of the screen. This is the Norton_Ghost2003 screen where it hangs. I have two sepearate rescue programs that get me into the 'C' drive in DOS. Do you know the correct syntax for the command to launch Windows from that location?

I guess the windows is not starting after that window or it hang up in that window.

So one thing you can do here is to logging to your system is hard reboot your system(ie pressing power key continuously ) and boot to windows.

With regards,
chindhu
Respectfully, XXXXX XXXXX done that procedure. It then boots to this same screen.

In the past have had similar situation and have booted in to Windows with the propper syntax command. Do not remember it.

On of the emergency boot disks is a CD from Norton. That will get me to a 'C' prompt. But I don't remember the command to launch Windows.

The other is a WIN98 boot floppy which says it is going to start the computer and loads all necessary files but stops short of launch. It leaves me with an 'A' prompt. From there I can get to the 'C' directory. I can see 'Ghost in the 'C' directory. If I knew the command
I would delete Ghost from the directory. And I believe that is an alternate approach to
solve the problem. It is 'Ghost' that is preventing the launch Windows.

If I knew the DOS command(s) and procedure to delte the ghost program from the 'C' directory I believe that would be another way to solve the problem. Please see the attached 'C' prompt screen.graphic. Don't know if the image attached properly? Please advise.

Can you help?

HI,

Please try to reboot in safe mode and if you able to login you can remove ghost from add or remove program

Step 1
Restart your computer by clicking power button for 10 seconds, then press it again to power back up.

Step 2
Start pressing the "F8" key repetitively on your keyboard as your computer boots up. If you get an error message, try again, waiting a few seconds before tapping the "F8" key.

Step 3
Peruse the "Windows Xp/Vista Advanced Options" menu, looking for the "Safe Mode" option. Select this using the arrow keys and press "Enter" on your keyboard.

Login with your username and password XXXXX uninstall the norton ghost from the programs

Step 4
Reboot your computer in Windows XP Normal Mode after you complete your installation.

Let me know is it worked for you

With Regards,
chindhu

Edited by s4sys on 6/21/2010 at 8:53 AM EST