I just bought a new computer and printer (PC with Windows 7)

Customer Question
and an HP printer (Officejet...
I just bought a new computer and printer (PC with Windows 7) and an HP printer (Officejet Pro 8500), and I am continuing to use Quicken 2002 (I hate the upgraded versions -- too many bells & whistles for how I use Quicken). It WILL print the register Report and other reports just fine, but it will not print my checks correctly. The Payee and the amount for the first check are okay (printed on the same top line), but it will not print anything below that point (i.e., not the written dollar amount or memo section, or either of the two checks below it). The prompt for printing the checks correctly identifies all three checks to be printed, but it simply doesn't print them. I tried to go to Intuit support, but they no longer support Quicken 2002, and there is no phone number. Any ideas?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/21/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Justin, Network Administrator/Not Limited replied 8 years ago
Justin
Justin, Network Administrator/Not Limited
Have you tried updating your printer drivers or did you just load them off the disc?

This is not an answer, just an inquiry.
Hi Justin! I'm not sure I understand your question, but I hired a computer tech (one I've worked with for years) to set up all the new equipment and transfer all the files, etc. from the old computer. He used the original disc to install Quicken 2002 (as well as all my other programs), but he tested almost everthing before leaving (just not printing checks). All of the Quicken reports print just fine... It's only the checks I'm having a problem with. Does this help?
Still, as common practice, updating the drivers is a first and easy step.

Could you confirm if your Officejet Pro 8500 is the A, N, B, or G model?
I am looking right at the box (as well as the printer) and see no identification other than Officejet Pro 8500. On the back, there is a small number (C8022A) in addition to the serial number. Does this help or is there another way for me to find out?

I know there was a second (newer) CD for setting up the printer with Windows 7 (as opposed to the other disc designed for XP). Does that help?

Not necessarily. I'll check the date on the updated driver after I get one more piece of information from you.

I need to know if you're running 32-bit or 64-bit Windows 7.

To find this out, click the bottom left start button and in the searchbox type dxdiag, and hit enter.

On the first screen you'll see Windows 7 etc etc 64-bit (if its 64-bit). Otherwise its 32. Please advise.
It's 64 bit
This is the newest driver HP has. However, it is rather old, so it's like the same one you have.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-77031-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&os=4063&product=3752456&sw_lang=

Its also huge, but that's HP for you. I don't have too much time left for tonight and this will be rather complicated so I'm going to opt out and leave this open to any expert that wishes to take it up. That is the driver for your printer and it may still work. So while you're waiting for another expert I would download it and run it as it will take awhile. Make sure Quicken is closed when you install it.
Okay -- Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX will hold off on downloading this for tonight, I think. I am not really clear on what I am downloading, and everything else in Quicken is printing just fine. I'll write my checks tonight and then try this again on Tuesday -- I'm gone all day tomorrow. Thanks for trying to help! Nancy
No problem, sorry I couldn't provide a quick fix. I'll try to check into more tomorrow if someone doesn't jump on this. If I see anything that might fix you up quick I'll opt back in and let you know
Thanks -- It would be great if it were as simple as a tweak in the Quicken settings. Have a nice evening! Nancy