Hi I have just purchased a computer with windows 7. I have…

Customer Question
Hi I have just purchased...
Hi I have just purchased a computer with windows 7. I have a external hard drive and when I open a folder it will open some files and other it will not. These are all jpeg files other folders it will not open any in the folder
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/21/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Mr. Clark, Computer Engineer replied 8 years ago
Mr. Clark
Mr. Clark, Computer Engineer
Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer.

What is the exact error message when you attempt to open the files that will not open?

no error message just either stalls and system says it is not responding

Have you tested the same files that will not open on another PC? If so, is the result the same (stall and not respond)?
actually i have tried it on another computer and it opens the files . that computer has windows vista
Go to Computer -> Organize -> Folder and search options -> View -> make sure that Show hidden files, folders and drives is selected under Hidden files and folders

Now, go to the files that will not open. Tell me what the full file name is XXXXX XXXXX full that causing the Windows 7 to stall (i.e. mypicture.jpg or mypicture.jpeg)

Thank you.
i go to my copmputer and open the external hard drive. once i click on the file that is it I can not do anything . I clicked on the file and now it says ( not responding )
The symptom that you are describe is classic malware infection-like symptom.

Please download Malwarebytes Antimalware (the scanner is free) and run a Full Scan and be sure that your external hard drive is selected for the scan as well.

Please tell me the results.

this computer is brand new this is the first thing I am trying to put on it . why would the malware be a problem ? I just recieved the computer last week and this is the actual first items I am trying to transfer over to the new computer

by the way when I tried to open the files exploror stops responding
Explorer.exe locking up upon access is classic malware. I am just going off the information that you have given me.

If you are sure that there is no malware on the new PC and/or external drive, then I would like you to put the contents of the external drive back on your old computer and then put the empty external drive back on new computer.

From here, I would like you to go to Computer -> right click on the external drive and select Format

You can do a quick format.

Now, eject the external drive and then attach it back to the old computer. Try to transfer 1 file (that you know was locking up your new PC) to the external drive. Attach the external drive to your new computer and see if it locks up.

Update me on the results.

Thank you.
i will try the format . one problem it not the same files all the time it kinda pics and chooses what it wants to do

well i was just going to format the external drive but it says it will erase all the files to format it. so this is not an option

In the steps, I requested that you copy the contents of your external drive to your old PC (emptying the drive).