recently installed windows 7 (from XP) and encounter very slow…

Customer Question
recently installed windows 7 (from...
recently installed windows 7 (from XP) and encounter very slow web page loads... so slow that the system times-out. also, cannot load large pages at all. initially had problems connecting to the internet via a linksys router but that seems to be working right now. i uninstalled norton 360 and set up the router before reloading norton. norton is the only security software running right now.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/19/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Bryan, Computer Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
Bryan, Computer Support Specialist
Hi, and thanks for using JustAnswer.

Did you face this issue just after upgrading to Windows 7, or after installing Norton? Also, did you carry out any software changes recently?

Regards
lots of changes since i reformatted the boot drive and loaded windows 7 from purchased cd. but the problem is definately windows 7 (or the current configuration) and i never had a problem with XP (for 6 years).
I see; I assume you had installed Norton just after installing Windows 7? Also, have you tried testing with a different browser, i.e. Firefox, to pinpoint the issue?

Regards
no... i have not tested any other browser. i ran with norton uninstalled for several days but did not seem to help with the slow download problem. note that software downloads, etc. run fine, no high cpu or memory utilisation. when the system is trying to download a web page the cpu is at about 2%
Okay ...did you install Norton normally, through the Control Panel, or using the Norton Removal Tool?

Regards

i've been using the revo uninstall software... it seems to be more complete than just the internal uninstall software.

Okay ...as a test ....first off, please carry out a clean uninstall of Norton/Symantec in your system by downloading the Norton Removal Tool, using the following link:
http://tinyurl.com/y7qe88

Done that, run the tool to look for and remove any traces of Norton still present in your system, restart, and check if this resolves the issues with accessing the Internet all right.

Keep me posted.

Regards
Tech Support Specialist: Sandy, Computer Specialist replied 8 years ago
Sandy
Sandy, Computer Specialist
Hello My Friend,

Welcome to Just Answer.com. My name is Sandeep and I am a Microsoft- Certified Technician who will assist you today. I understand how important this is for you. I will put in my best effort to help you out. This process might require multiple contacts from both sides.

It seems to be an issue with linksys router. Please by pass the router and connect a cable directly from the modem to the computer. Now, try to browse now.

If you are able to browse properly, it would be an issue with linksys.

In that case, you have to reset linksys once.

http://www.wikihow.com/Reset-a-Linksys-Router

Note: Resettting linksys will disconnect your wireless connection once on other computer. You can simply connect to them again.

If get some help, please hit Accept as this is how I Earn my Living and get paid for my Time, work. Please leave positive feedback if the issue is fixed, if not ask me again instead of leaving negative feedback. Bonus would be highly appreciated.
I would advise you NOT to reset the router before trying anything else, since you had this issue after upgrading to Windows 7; resetting the router doesn't seem to have anything to do with this issue, and may cause separate network issues to deal with, later on.

Please carry out my steps to remove Norton accordingly, and let me know how you get on.

Regards
Please do not reset the router now. Simply bypass it first, connect the cable directly from the modem to the computer and check if you are able to browse properly or not.

Edited by sandy on 6/19/2010 at 9:45 PM EST
NO HELP! i removed the norton software and booted... the problem was worse than ever. i bypassed the router, going directly to the cable modem. no help! i reset the modem, i rebooted three times before i got a clean access to the internet. without norton or the router, the web download was so slow that nothing would make it... all timed out. i do not think it is norton, or linksys... any ideas?
Tech Support Specialist: technical114, Computer Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
technical114
technical114, Computer Support Specialist
Hello there from me too,
Without any purpose to change something from what you have already done, or argue with the other technicians, let me ask about the hardware details of your computer (cpu, memory, vga etc)

the computer is a custom built, two amd cpus, 4 gig of memory, 350 gig disk, etc. the system has run without a problem for 6 years, until i installed windows 7. i have verified that all drivers are current, etc. anything specific i can tell you? a comcast cable modem and a wired linksys router. but i can't get the router to work consistantly so have the pc plugged directly into the modem. after a number of boots (usually 3) the web loading is ok and then it goes into a slow down that the web browser can't load pages... they time out. also, any online help at that time can't work so online help is very limited... :-)

Some more thoughts from my side:
Have you ever tried Norton on this pc with the Windows XP op. system?
Are you sure that the firewall of Norton is uninstalled and open?
What about the Windows firewall?
Try to disable it just for check.
What about the DHCP that the coputer gets? Is it correct (with Linksys or the Internet provider company)?
yes, i have always had norton (and for the past several years norton 360). i removed norton using the norton uninstall software (http://tinyurl.com/y7qe88). i have tried with the windows firewall on and off (i left it off for several days, but then thought i should turn it back on). the dhcp addresses are correct with and without the router. i'm really stuck...

i formatted the boot drive when i installed windows 7 (from XP) so i had a very clean system. i added office and the usual assortment of commercial software> do i go back to wht windows 7 disk to reinstall?

one online service ran the SFC /SCANNOW command but i don't remember how to change to administrator to run the scan...
Go to start (Win logo) - all programs - accessories - right click on command prompt - run as administrator. At the cmd window type sfc/scannow and wait.....
ok... it ran, but no report... so it didn't find any problems?
It didn't find. The log file is in the location c:/windows/logs/cbs. Why don't you try the classic command chkdsk c: with the parameters /f/r/x in order to unmount, locate and recover errors.
ran chkdsk... where do i find the results?
i ran chkdsk at start-up so that i could get all 5 scans.
The last point I can thing before the format. Have you change something at the memory modules from WinXP to Win7? Either any module or the order of the modules?
no... i haven't changed any memoy.
Unfortunately I can't quest any other help but reformat and install Win7 again. I leave this post in "need info" status in order, if you'd like, to take some extra help from another expert without paying me. Anyway it's up on you to decide. Have you thought the idea of installing the good old stuff WinXP?