Sandy
Sandy, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Bachelor in Technology, 10+ years of experience
33602187

How do I transfer e-mail folders from A T & T (sbcglobal.net)

Customer Question

How do I transfer e-mail folders from A T & T (sbcglobal.net) to Microsoft Outlook? I want to change to Comcast internet and will loose everything I have saved at A T & T when I cancel their service.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Sandy replied 7 years ago.
Hello My Friend,

Welcome to Just Answer.com. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a Microsoft- Certified Technician who will assist you today. I understand how important this is for you. I will put in my best effort to help you out. This process might require multiple contacts from both sides.

By the way, it would help me to know:

Where are you ATT emails stored? Are these stored in outlook, outlook express? Or you see them only on webmail i.e. on www.att.net.
-What operating system are you using?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I open Internet Explorer and then my email comes up which is attached to www.att.net. My operating system is Windows XP Professional. Gail

Expert:  Sandy replied 7 years ago.

Outlook 2007 (adding your att email without loosing your work email)

1. From the Tools menu, select Account Settings.
2. Click the New ... button.
3. In the Choose Email Service window, click on the radio button next to Microsoft Exchange, POP3, IMAP, or HTTP, and click Next.
4. Put a check in the box next to Manually configure server settings or additional server types, and click Next.
5. Click on the radio button next to Internet E-mail, and click Next.
6. Enter the name you wish to be shown on the email in the Your Name field.
7. Enter the email address in the E-mail Address field (i.e.,[email protected]).
8. Enter the POP3 server address (pop.att.yahoo.com) in the Incoming Mail (POP3 or IMAP) Server box.
9. Enter the SMTP server address (smtp.att.yahoo.com) in the Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server box.
10. Enter the account email address in the User Name: field.
11. Enter the account password XXXXX the Password: field.
12. Make sure the Remember password XXXXX is checked.
13. Click the More Settings button.
14. Click the Outgoing Server tab.
15. Ensure My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication is selected.
16. Make sure the Use same settings as my incoming mail server option is selected (selected by default).
17. Click the Advanced tab.

Note: When updating the secure server settings, check SSL checkbox first, then update the port number setting.
18. Under the Incoming mail (POP3), put a check in the This server requires a secure connection (SSL) checkbox.
19. Make sure the port number is XXXXX to 995.
20. Under the Outgoing mail (SMTP), go to the Use the following type of encrypted connections drop-down menu, and select SSL.
21. Make sure the port number is XXXXX to 465.
22. Click OK.
23. Click Next, then Finish.

==
If get some help, please hit Accept as this is how I Earn my Living and get paid for my Time, work.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for the step by step instructions - Gail
Expert:  Sandy replied 7 years ago.
Thanks.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I just followed your instructions, however, there are no instructions on how to transfer the existing folders from att to outlook? What is the procedure?? Since the answer I received was not complete I should not have to pay an additional charge. Gail
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Expert:  Sandy replied 7 years ago.
Hello Gail, You do not have to pay extra. Have you setup outlook with att emails.Do you see your emails in outlook?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I seeing my emails in Outlook. How do I transfer my att folders to outlook? Gail
Expert:  Sandy replied 7 years ago.
Good to hear from you that you see your emails under Microsoft Outlook. I am sorry to say that it would not be be possible to transfer the folder emails to outlook.

There is one procedure to that.

You have to break the rules under ATT settings and all of your emails(including folder emails) would appear under your inbox in ATT.

Now, go to outlook and click Send and Receive.
Now, in outlook once you have all of the emails, you can setup rules, create new folders and drag and drops emails to those folders.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for all your help - I thought there might not be a solution. I'll try what you suggested. Thanks again, Gail

Expert:  Sandy replied 7 years ago.
Thank you sir.