WINDOWS IE explorer is not starting. I have been thru all…

Customer Question
WINDOWS IE explorer is not...
WINDOWS IE explorer is not starting. I have been thru all the steps indicated to fix it on the Microsoft Support center (starting without addons, starting from another user), but it's still not starting. What to do next? Uninstall and reinstall?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/19/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Satchi, Computer Software Engineer replied 8 years ago
Satchi
Satchi, Computer Software Engineer
Hi ,

Welcome to JustAnswer

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=341C2AD5-8C3D-4347-8C03-08CDECD8852B&displaylang=no&displaylang=en

goto above link and downlaod latest IE 8 and install it

then try to open and let me know

Thanks & Regards

Satchi
ok just finished doing that. Now an IE window opens, but then it says "IE not responding". Also I just got a message saying "Cumulative Security Update for IE 8 Dynamic Installer for Windows XP (KB982381)" when I tried to install the new security update. Any ideas?
Yes some other updates required for IE 8 ...

you can download it and manually install also

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e2f27eeb-54be-40be-a00e-72867090b8e7&displaylang=en

you can get more info from below link

http://www.techrena.net/windows/kb982381-bulletin-ms-10-035-download/
Thanks but the first link:

"you can download it and manually install also

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e2f27eeb-54be-40be-a00e-72867090b8e7&displaylang=en"

takes me to an update for IE6 - are you sure this is correct?
Yes

you can download and install it from below also

http://tinyurl.com/282rfwu
ok I downloaded it and tried to run it when I get this message "the version of Windows you have does not match the update you are trying to install" (or somehting similar) - I'm on XP, not W2000...
that's the one I tried - but it even says it's for W 2000 (filename=IE6.0sp1-KB982381-Windows2000-x86-ENU.exe), tho I didn't read this before downloading and trying to install...
Okk

Without updating you should able to open IE

what error showing during opeing IE ?
it opens to a blank page and then immediately says "IE not responding" and I can't do anything about it...
Okay

Why dont you try the Mozilla firefox it is much faster than IE

http://en-us.www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/
I installed that yesterday - that's how I'm able to go on the web, but I want to fix the IE issue
Okk

Sorry for late response

I am out of ideas

I will open this to other experts to help you
ok thanks, so what now? Any ideas form other experts?
No

You will get email when other expert joins you
Relist: Incomplete answer.
did not resolve my problem
Tech Support Specialist: Mr. Clark, Computer Engineer replied 8 years ago
Mr. Clark
Mr. Clark, Computer Engineer
Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer.

When was the last time IE was able to work? I would suggest a system restore to a date before the problem started.

You can do this by going to Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore

Select the earlier date option, select a date before you the last time you remembered it working and then complete the process.

Your PC will apply the restore, reboot, and then see if IE works then.

Please update me on the results.
What will this do to the rest of the stuff on the computer?
Any personal documents, such as Word documents or music, etc will not be affected.

System Restore will reverse any registry changes or programs that were installed during the time period that you specify.

The reason IE will not open at this point is either a registry corruption or a corruption in the IE installation. In theory, a System Restore to the point when it was working will reverse this issue.

System Restores are completely reversable in most scenarios. So if you are unhappy with the results, you can reverse the process.
how can I reverse the process?
Go to Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore

You will have an option to Undo the last system restore.

Did the system restore not fix the issue?
I am a bit wary of doing something so radical - it's not mine, but brother's computer that has the problem and I wouldn't want to crash it completely or destroy his work as he doesn't have an external drive to do a back up.
Understandable.

I would like to tell you. At this point, IE and/or registry entries related to it have been corrupted. This conclusion is based on the fact that you have tried to reinstall it with the other expert (Satchi).

The corruption was a result of either malware, a program that had an addon/plugin that modified the registry edits, manual registry changes/removal, or an unknown factor.

There are three methods that remain to fix the issue.

#1 - System Restore. This should be the first line of repair.

#2 - Restore To Factory Image. This will remove everything from the PC and reset it back to the way it was when you first got it from the retailer.

#3 - Retail Windows Reinstallation - Like #2, it will remove everything from the PC, but this method is only when you do not have the Recovery Disc and/or the Recovery Partition on your PC doesn't exists, is damaged, or unaccessible.