I have urgent need to access

Customer Question
"2-3" 2006 business files /...
I have urgent need to access "2-3" 2006 business files / accounts on my Quicken 2005 edition of the program. How can I find my passwords? - As I cannot find it written ANYWHERE.

Please Note: this request is ONLY VALUABLE TO ME IF YOU CAN ANSWER IT WITHIN THE NEXT HOUR. I ASKED Q. APPROX 30 MIN. AGO.

THANK YOU!
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/19/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Robert M., Consultant replied 8 years ago
Robert M., Consultant
if you can open them in the 2006 editon you can do a backup and then restore them to the 2005 edition
By owning the Quicken 2005 edition - I can continue to use the 2005 edition for all accounting needs for 06, 07, 08, 09, to present 2010 without ever having to purchase ANY newer copies. I do not own the 2006 edition. There must be a way to dissect a particular file through Program Files of assigned drive (C drive in this case) of which a password XXXXX be located. I'm spending $18 to save the $89 charge of the latest Quicken Edition.

i am not sure that i understand the question. was the file created in 2006 version and that is why you can not access it? or do you just not have the password XXXXX it ?

in any event loading files into quicken that were created even in another copy of the same version is a lot easier if you use the restore command rather then the open command

Edited by robert on 6/19/2010 at 5:54 AM EST

here is a link to trying to recover quicken files with lost passwords. generaly you can restore a backup file even if you cant open the password XXXXX version.

http://financialsoft.about.com/od/advancedtutorialsandtips/a/Qpasswd.htm

Dear XXXXX,
appreciate your information and for clarification, My latest Quicken is 2005 Edition and I have 2006, 07, 08 etc years of accounting information working fine on my 2005 Edition. My backup copies of 2006 info has had the same password XXXXX each back up. (you have to enter password XXXXX time you wish to work in the file) I will try moving the PW protected file and using the default backup, however the PW will be embedded in the Auto Default backup also. I noticed adds for dissecting the file where the password XXXXX XXXXX and ULTIMATELY I am looking for THAT ANSWER. I have read copious amounts of information similar to what you have linked me to and will try all suggestions which I have NOT already done.

It is 11:30 pm and really need an answer, rather than suggestive possibilities. I am trying everything. thank you!

here is a free version of a quicken password XXXXX tool

i have not used it and can not guaranty anything about it but its worth a shot.

http://www.crackpassword.com/advanced_quicken_password_recovery.html

Thank you for suggestion but it was a no go. It was not a total bait & switch as I had the program access a file that I KNEW had NO password. Program confirmed - no password; but on each file I needed the PW or have it erased; program reported unable to perform and I would need to spend $79.95 for upgrade!

In conclusion - no offense intended Robert - but you have not provided an answer / solution and I have wasted a significant chunk of time - NO closer to resolve and must ask you to remove me from your free month offer and cancel any / all future months of service as this has been too frustrating.

Thank you for trying

sorry i have no way to test those programs.

if you do know that you are using the correct password XXXXX it is not working the file may be corrupted. one of the backups should work.

of you can try using the validate file routine in quicken

http://web.intuit.com/support/quicken/docs/w_corruptdata.html