I dont know how to phrase my problem. First, I bought a nook…

Customer Question
I don't know how to...
I don't know how to phrase my problem. First, I bought a nook from B&N. I wanted to download ebooks I have on my Dell pc to the nook. To do this, I have to plug in my USB cord from my nook into a USB slot on the pc. When this happens, my pc is supposed to acknowledge the presence of the nook as another removeable storage device. It does not-even tho the nook indicates that it is hooked to the pc, and the pc does the ding dong thing to let me know that a new device is hooked up. I have upgraded to Windows 7.0. When I say that it doesn't acknowledge it's presence, I mean that I click on "computer" and it isn't in the removable device area.

Now, that's only the begining. I have a scandisk cruzer that has a 16 GB capacity. If I now plug that into a USB slot on the pc, the pc makes the acknowledgement that it's plugged in but does not acknowledge it's presence when I check for it using computer (used to be "my computer"). It did before all this started. HELP!
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/19/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Jason Jones, Computer Expert replied 8 years ago
Jason Jones, Computer Expert

I look forward to helping you out with your question, but first I need a little more information please.

***
- Unplug the Nook from your computer
- Click the Start Button
- Type: devmgmt.msc
- Hit ENTER
- Plug the nook into your computer
- When the computer makes the sound signifying that it recognizes the new hardware, do you see that the device does show up on the device manager correctly? Or does it show a yellow exclamation mark next to it?

Please, update me on your status.

Thank you.
With Windows 7, where is my start button? if it's the round thing with the Windows emblem at the bottom left, I don't have start. I have search and a listing of some of my programs above that. Do you want me to type devmgmt.msc in the search area?
Yes, click the Start Orb button, then type it in the search area.

I'm sorry but there is no such file on my pc. What now?

What do you mean by no such file?
When I typed in what you asked me to (devmgmt.msc) in the search slot, it came up with the message that no such file existed.
Ok, do it this way please:

- Clicking the Start button
- Click Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Device Manager.‌
Look, I know you think I'm nutz. It's okay. I do not have a system and maintenance choice on control panel. This is Windows 7; and, I'm thinking that maybe it is something else. The only topic with System in it is System and Security. It has nothing in any of the choice in Control panel that has maintainance.
I don't think you are crazy.

Try typing the following into the search box one more time and press enter: DEVMGMT.MSC

This is the correct command for Windows 7.

It still says that no items match my search. I am not upset with you. However, I will need to come back tomorrow when I have more time to sit and wait for answers. Thanks for what you tried to do.

Customer

Ok, thank you for the update.

I will be here tomorrow when you are ready to continue.

Thank you