My e-mail is sending out spam mail with a link for viagra…

Customer Question
My e-mail is sending out...
My e-mail is sending out spam mail with a link for viagra? It did it a week a go, and again this past monday. How do I stop it?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/18/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Hunter Owens, Computer Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
Hunter Owens
Hunter Owens, Computer Support Specialist

It will be my pleasure to help you with your computer today. In order to better assist you, I need some more information.

- What is the part of your email address after the @ symbol? Please do not respond with your full email address because this tech support message board is public.

Look forward to hearing from you,

Hunter O.
@hotmail.com

It seems that the person who is sending Viagra emails with your email address hacked into your account. You need to change your account password XXXXX that they no longer have access to your account and will no longer be able to send out emails. Please follow the steps listed below or click here to watch a video demo.

1. Click here or type www.hotmail.com into your internet browser's address bar.
  2. Login to your Hotmail account and then click Options in the upper-right corner.
  3. Select More options from the drop-down menu that appears.
  4. Click View and edit your personal information from under the Manage your account section.
  5. You may be asked to confirm your password XXXXX confirm that you are the account holder who is changing the password.
  6. Click Change next to Password: *******.
  7. Type in your old password XXXXX new password XXXXX then click Save.

Look forward to hearing from you,

Hunter O.
I did that already, does that mean they acutally got it twice and did it two seperate times? It's not a worm?

If you have already changed your password, then it is possible that there is spyware on your computer. Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware is a free program that will remove any spyware currently on your computer. Are the viagria links appearing on all messages that you send or just some that appear in your Sent Messages folder?

I recommend printing out this page so that you can easily refer to it during the process.

1. Click here to go to Malwarebytes' website and then scroll down to the bottom of the new page that appears and click on the blue 'Download Free Version' button.
2. Click 'Download Now' again on the new webpage to start your download. Please select 'Run' when given the option for the download.
3. When the installation program launches, Click 'OK' for English (or choose a different language if you would prefer).
4. Click 'Next'.
5. Click 'I accept the agreement'.
6. Click 'Next'.
7. Click 'Next'.
8. Click 'Next'.
9. Click 'Next'.
10. Click 'Next'.
11. Click 'Install'.
12. Click 'Finish'. Leave both of the check boxes checked.
13. Click 'Perform full scan'.
14. Click 'Scan' button in the lower-left.
15. Ensure all of your hard drives are selected (usually C:) and do not check any CD drives.
16. Click 'Start Scan'.
17. It will take at least a couple hours for the scan to complete, so I don't recommend waiting at the computer.
18. When the scan is done it will give you the option to remove all of the items that it found, click Yes. If it asks to run on your next restart, select Yes and then restart your computer if it does not automatically do so.

Look forward to hearing from you,

Hunter O.

I'll give it a try. I'm running off to an appointment, so it will have to wait till later.

thanks,