I have windows xp and my computer will not boot up to windows…

Customer Question
I have windows xp and...
I have windows xp and my computer will not boot up to windows menu stays on the black infor area I dont know if the bios or something is off
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/18/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Tom K, Information Systems Manager replied 8 years ago
Tom K
Tom K, Information Systems Manager
Exactly how far into the boot up process does the computer go before messing up? Also exactly what is on the screen at the point it stops?

boot from CD/DVD

disk boot failure insert system system disk

black screen

Have you recently changed the BIOS settings to boot from the CD drive first? Seems like the computer is attempting to boot from the CD drive. Remove any CD that is in the drive and any floppies that might be inserted into the computer and try again.

My son was on it yesterday messing with it a have a suspicion he may have messed with the system recovery f9 or f12 that come up or bios to try and fix it but I do not know what they should be set on when they are opened up

When you first turn the computer on, the first on screen image should mention something about pressing a key like F9 or F12 to select boot up options or enter BIOS.

Press the key to select the boot up device and choose to boot from the hard disk. If you are unable to press the key in time (its usually only a 5 second window when the first screen appears) turn the computer off then on and try again.

Yes then boot device chan 1 and 2 come on and 2 is high lighted but when I hit enter it will show they are disabled and says enter disc

Ok press the button to enter the BIOS settings. Once inside the BIOS settings, find the option to reset the BIOS settings to default and press Enter. After this Exit the BIOS settings choosing to save all changes and the computer will restart itself.
on the right side of the screen it has two load default bios one is optimized and one is fail safe.
Choose optimized, save changes and exit, and let the computer restart.
the F10 is not saving

I finally got it to work now it is stuck on the Verifying DMI pool data

Is it advancing on the DMI pool data screen at all?

no it is not progressing, It went to a black screen with just a cursur blinking in the upper left hand corner

Have you restarted and tried again since this?
yes now is says disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter
Ok, here is the problem, your Windows installation has been corrupted. Do you have your Windows XP install CD or any sort of recovery CDs with this computer?
yes, but I have already tried this and it says it is not the right disc

What does it say on the disk itself?

system recovery dvd, microsoft windows xp, for hp or compaq, my pc was built custom empower. we bought it from a friend 2 years ago.
Insert the Windows XP CD and during boot up press the key for the boot device selection menu and select to boot from your optical/CD drive. This should start the Windwos XP reinstall.
Says these recovery discs do not support this pc model press any key to continue. this is what comes up
Thats because this is a custom built pc and the restore disk you have is a proprietary restore disk for a HP or Compaq. Do you have any other Windows XP disk?