Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I just purchased a Toshiba Laptop that is loaded with Windows

Customer Question

I just purchased a Toshiba Laptop that is loaded with Windows 7. I downloaded Skype Version 4.2 and it appeared to install fine. However, when I went to use the Video Call feature, I get a prompt, "Can't start video renderer. Check you've got a valid DirectX."
I spoke to Toshiba support and they advised that I needed to contact Skype Support to get a Windows 7 - 64 bit version of Skype. There does not appear to be such a download on your site and I am therefore unable to use the Skype webcam feature on this computer.

HELP!
Jacqueline Feeler [email protected]
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 8 years ago.

Hi there, and welcome to JustAnswer

If you go to the below link, you can download and install the latest version of DirectX.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=2da43d38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3&displaylang=en

Once installed, please reboot your computer and test.

If you have any difficulties, please do not hesitate to contact me

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
As I mentioned in my original question....this is what Toshiba Tech Support advised me to do. I downloaded DirectX and when I attempted to install, my computer prompted me that I already had a newer version installed. It was part of the original software loaded on the computer (dated 11/09) as I received it. I called Toshiba back on this and was then advised that I would need the Windows 7 64-bit compatible version of Skype.

Your "fix" appears to be only a repeat of this advice.
Expert:  Richard replied 8 years ago.

Thanks for the information. I did need to make sure though

There is no skype 64 bit, this version will work with Windows. The problem lies elsewhere.

Please do the following to make sure all drivers are updated

To do this, follow these steps:

a. Click Start, type Device Manager in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

b. Click Continue. The Device Manager dialog box is displayed.
If you are prompted for an administrator password XXXXX for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.

c. In the list of device types, click the kind of device, and then locate the specific device that is not functioning.

d. Right-click the device, and then click Properties.

e. Click the Driver tab.

f. Click Uninstall.

g. Click OK.

h. In the Device Manager dialog box, click the Action menu, and then click Scan for hardware changes. · You may receive a message that states that Windows has to install driver software for your unknown device. If you receive this message, click Locate and install driver software (recommended).

When completed, please restart the computer and test. Let me know if the problem persists

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

My webcam is functioning just fine - I do not believe that the webcam "not functioning" is the problem here - I assume that the direction you gave above (re: device manager) has to do with drivers for the webcam? You did not specify which device you were addressing in your instructions??? Again, the only issue seems to be getting my webcamto work within Skype.....

I'm very frustrated!

Expert:  Richard replied 8 years ago.

yes, I was referring to the webcam drivers. If you can find the webcam in the list and click update drivers that will ensure we have the latest.

In addition, can you right click on the icon you use to start skype. Go to properties, choose compatibility and select Windows 7 32 bit please

Let me know if the problem persists

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Richard - I am sorry but your Answer(s) did not resolve our problem. I eventually got Toshiba Tech Support to resolve it. Thanks for your efforts, but I cannot Accept your Answer. Please do not continue to contact me.