I took my computer to best buy and they said it was clean of…

Customer Question
I took my computer to...
I took my computer to best buy and they said it was clean of viruses and looked good, when I got it home I tryed to load a free version of avg and as i tried to download it, it said av security suit was loaded and they recommended removing it before installing avg. Then I went to add & remove programs & it was not on the list. How do I get av security suit off my system?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/18/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Cris, Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
Cris
Cris, Support Specialist

Thank you for contacting JA, I am Cris and will assist you with your question.

You will have to locate the antivirus installed, look through the add/remove programs list. They might have installed Avast, Avira, those are free antivirus. Or a trial of Symantec antivirus. You will need to remove the program before installing AVG, there cannot be 2 antivirus softwares on the system causes conflict.

av security suits was a scam that I bought into but later found out it wasn't what it apeared. I had to pay for it, this wasn't a free antivirus download. Could it be under another name?

Was this before you took it to best buy and had them clean it out?

none of those were in add & remove

got this message both before & after

Ok, what operating system are you using XP, Vista or Win7?
xp

xp

i also loaded and ran spy doctor trying to get rid of it with no luck

Ok, it seems as though they did not completely clean out your system please following these instructions:

Download/save ComboFix and run it to remove these infections. Please follow my instructions.

Reboot your PC, when it rebots and your PC logo screen appears (HP, Dell, Acer, etc..) start tapping F8 repeatedly, that will bring up advanced options. Scroll up to "safe Mode with Networking" then hit Enter.

Try to run COMBOFIX and it will take about 5 minutes to complete tops. The Microsoft Level 2 Techs use this and nothing gets past it. This is a FREE scan and it does not install anything on your computer, it runs from the command prompt!

Download Here >>>>>> http://www.combofix.org/downloadlink.php <<<<

1) Save it to your desktop

2) Run It

(IMPORTANT) Click OK to continue on those popup messages from combofix, DO NOT disable the anti-virus, just click OK to go on and you might have 3 different OK boxes to pop up, and if it ask to download the recovery console just click no.

When it is done, you will get a notepad with the report. If anything was deleted it will show you at the top like this....

(((((((((((((((((( other deletions )))))))))))))))))))

Here is you a guide just in case you want to see what happens.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix

After that, close the notepad, restart your computer, check and see if you can download and install AVG. You can download from the following site

www.ninite.com

This site automatically install the program(s) for you without you having to go through the prompts. You can install multiple programs at once if you like.

ok i will try this and get back to you

ok, I downloaded combofix to my desktop and when I tried to run it this is the message I got:

ComboFix has detected the following real time scanner(s) to be active:

antivirus: AV Security suite

Antivirus and intrusion prevention programs are known to interfere with ComboFix's running. This may lead to unpredictable results or possible machine damage.

Please disable these scanners before clicking ok.

I am not in safe mode yet and wasn't sure if I should click ok or no? I don't want to damage my computer further. What should I do now?

Relist: not sure if expert still online or not & need to resolve problem.
not sure if expert still online or not & need to resolve problem
Tech Support Specialist: Maggie P, Computer Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
Maggie P
Maggie P, Computer Support Specialist
Hi turn180

Download and run rkill from one of the following locations.

rkill.com http://tinyurl.com/yj9udk8
rkill.exe http://tinyurl.com/yj58u6d
rkill.scr http://tinyurl.com/yhbmkul

All 3 links are to same tool with a different file extension, you may need to try all three before it will work.

When you run rkill you may see a notice saying rkill is infected, this is the fake program so leave the message on screen do not click it, then run rkill again. Once rkill has worked you will notice your desktop vanish then re-appear, this is normal.

When it has worked run ComboFix again do not allow the computer to reboot before running ComboFix or you will have to run rkill again. Make sure you have all programs closed when running ComboFix. Your computer may be restarted by ComboFix please do not run any programs or change any settings until the ComboFix.txt file pops open. Post the contents of the log file (C:\ComboFix.txt) in a reply here.