I forgot my password. how do i log on

Customer Question
?...
I forgot my password. how do i log on ?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/18/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Computer Engineer, Computer Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
Computer Engineer
Computer Engineer, Computer Support Specialist
Thank you for using justanswer.com
I am here to assist you regarding your problem

Have you forgot the password XXXXX your computer or mail account? like hotmail.com or yahoo.com etc,
you sent me a password ssg01f6 . It didn't work
Is it a hotmail account?
no .i'm trying to log on to the computer itself
If you forget your password XXXXX if your password XXXXX there are two methods that you can use to log on to create a new password. One method is to use a password XXXXX disk, if you have created one. By using the password XXXXX disk, you can recover your user account and your personalized computer settings. Another method is to log on using the administrator account to delete the forgotten password XXXXX then to create a new password.

If you have a password XXXXX disk, go to method 1. If you do not have a reset disk, go to method 2. The instructions guide you through each step and help you verify that the problem is resolved.

Note If you are using Windows XP Home Edition, you may want to try the steps in the following article before you try the steps in this article:
894900 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894900/ ) Forgotten your Windows XP Home Edition password? - Part 1: Introduction

Method 1: Use a password XXXXX disk

loadTOCNode(3, 'moreinformation'); To log on to the computer by using a password XXXXX disk, follow these steps. If your computer is or was a member of a domain, go to the "Windows XP Professional in a domain" section and follow those steps.
Windows XP Home Edition or Windows XP Professional
loadTOCNode(4, 'moreinformation');
  1. Restart the computer.
  2. On the Windows XP logon screen, click the user name that you want to use, and then press ENTER.

Note You receive the following error message:
    Did you forget your password? You can click the "?" button to see your password XXXXX Or you can use your password XXXXX disk. Please type your password XXXXX Be sure to use the correct uppercase and lowercase letters.
  3. Click Use your password XXXXX disk. The Password XXXXX Wizard starts. The Password XXXXX Wizard enables you to create a new password XXXXX your user account.
  4. In the Password XXXXX Wizard dialog box, click Next.
  5. Insert the password XXXXX disc into the CD drive, and then click Next.
  6. Type a new password XXXXX the Type a new password box, and then type the password XXXXX in the Type the password XXXXX to confirm box.
  7. In the Type a new password XXXXX box, type a hint for the password, and then click Next.
  8. Click Finish, and then try to log on to Windows XP again.
If you were able to reset your password XXXXX are now able to log on successfully, you have resolved the issue, and you are finished. If you are still unable to log on, try method 2.
Windows XP Professional in a domain
loadTOCNode(4, 'moreinformation'); To log on to a computer by using a password XXXXX disk, when that computer is a member of a domain, or was disconnected from a domain, follow these steps:
  1. Restart the computer.
  2. In the Welcome to Windows dialog box, press CTRL+ALT+DELETE.
  3. In the Log On to Windows dialog box, type an incorrect password XXXXX the Password box, and then click OK.
  4. In the Logon Failed dialog box, click Reset. The Password XXXXX Wizard starts. You can use the Password XXXXX Wizard to create a new password XXXXX your local account.
  5. On the Welcome to the Password XXXXX Wizard page, click Next.
  6. Insert the password XXXXX disc into the CD drive, and then click Next.
  7. Type a new password XXXXX the Type a new password box, and then type the password XXXXX in the Type the password XXXXX to confirm box.
  8. In the Type a new password XXXXX box, type a hint for the password, and then click Next.
  9. Click Finish, and then try to log on to Windows XP again.

Method 2: Log on as an administrator to reset the password

loadTOCNode(3, 'moreinformation'); If you did not create a password XXXXX disk, you may be able to log on as an administrator to reset a forgotten or expired password. The steps to do this differ if the computer is a stand-alone computer or a member of a workgroup of two or more, or a member of a domain. Select the appropriate set of steps from the following to try to log on as the administrator to reset the password.
loadTOCNode(4, 'moreinformation'); To log on to a computer as the administrator to reset a password, try the following steps.
  1. Log on as an administrator.
    1. Restart the computer.
    2. Press CTRL+ALT+DELETE two times, and then type the name of the administrator user account.
    3. In the Password box, type the administrator password, and then click OK.

Note If the administrator password XXXXX XXXXX to a blank password, do not type a password XXXXX you click OK.
  2. Reset the password.
    1. Click Start, and then click Run.
    2. Type control userpasswords2, and then click OK.
    3. On the Users tab, click the name of the user account that you want to reset the password XXXXX and then click Reset Password.
    4. Type a new password XXXXX the New password box, and then type the password XXXXX in the Confirm new password box, and then click OK.
    5. Restart the computer, and then try to log on to Windows XP again.
If you can log on as an administrator to reset your password XXXXX you can now log on successfully, you have resolved the issue, and you are finished. If you are still unable to log on, go to the "Next Steps" section.
Windows XP Home Edition or Windows XP Professional in a workgroup
loadTOCNode(4, 'moreinformation'); To log on to a computer as the administrator to reset a password, when that computer is in a workgroup of more than one member, follow these steps:
  1. Log on as an administrator.
    1. Restart the computer, and then press the F8 key during startup until the Windows Advanced Options menu appears.
    2. On the Windows Advanced Options menu, use the arrow keys to select Safe Mode, and then press ENTER.
    3. Select Microsoft Windows XP edition, and then press ENTER.

Note In this step, edition represents the correct Windows edition.
    4. On the To begin, click your user name screen, click Administrator, and then type the administrator password.
    5. Press ENTER, and then click Yes.
  2. Reset the password.
    1. Click Start and then click Run.
    3. Click the name of the user account that you want to reset the password XXXXX
    4. Click Change the Password, and then type a new password.

Note If you do not want to use a password, click Remove password, and then continue to step "e."
    5. Click Change Password.
    6. Restart the computer, and then try to log on to Windows XP again.
If you can log on as an administrator to reset your password XXXXX can now log on successfully, you have resolved the issue, and you are finished. If you are still unable to log on, go to the "Next Steps" section.
Windows XP Professional in a domain
loadTOCNode(4, 'moreinformation'); To log on to a computer as the administrator to reset a password, when that computer is a member of a domain, follow these steps:
  1. Log on as an administrator.
    1. In the Welcome to Windows dialog box, press CTRL+ALT+DELETE, and then type the name of the administrator user account.
    2. In the Password box, type the administrator password, and then click OK.

2. Reset the password.
    1. Click Start and then click Run.
    2. Type compmgmt.msc , and then click OK.
    3. In the Computer Management (Local) dialog box, expand Local Users and Groups.
    4. Click the Users folder, and then right-click the user account that you want to reset the password XXXXX
    5. Click Set Password, and then click Proceed.
    6. Type a new password XXXXX the New password box, type the password XXXXX in the Confirm password box, and then click OK two times.
    7. Restart the computer, and then try to log on to Windows XP again.
If you have reset your password XXXXX you can log on successfully, you have resolved the issue. If you cannot reset the password, you may have to reinstall Windows XP and other programs before you can use this computer again. Go to the "Next Steps" section for information about contacting Support.

If you cannot reset your password, unfortunately, this content is unable to help you further. For your next steps, you might want to ask someone for help, or you might want to contact Support. For information about how to contact Support, please visit the following Microsoft Web site:
http://support.microsoft.com/contactus (http://support.microsoft.com/contactus)
Tech Support Specialist: Richard, Computer Specialist replied 8 years ago
Richard, Computer Specialist

Hi there, and welcome to JustAnswer

Try this first please.

At the login screen press CTRL+ALT+DEL and choose the administrator account.

If you remember setting a password XXXXX this (when you installed the computer) use that, else leave the password XXXXX

Once you log in with the administrator account, go to start, control panel, users and there you will be able to reset your user account.

Restart the computer and you can log in.

Please let me know if you still have difficulties

It seems the expert has not read your question. You have already tried this.

Please stick to my previous answer and try to solve your problem.

Ask me again if you need more help.